Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2016, 11:18 PM

Re: The Mob

I was in the garden this afternoon when I heard strange high-pitched noises coming from above.
It was 2 Red Kites seemingly arguing about something. One seemed to be chasing the other off, and there was a lot of that funny quite pitched sound they make going on. Eventually one turned back, and the other one carried on his journey on its own.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2016, 11:03 PM

You'd have enjoyed Springwatch again tonight Nom.
They were showing an Avocet and her chicks, what huge beaks they have. Then a Woodlark and her nest, Bearded Tits, Linnets, Yellow Hammers and they also filmed a nasty old Jay stealing the baby's from a Blue tit nest, only one out of the 5 survived in the end, because as they were growing and poking their heads out of the nest box, the Jay was waiting and yanked them out.
They also had a Weasel moving her 17 day old babies somewhere else because a Stoat was after them, and lots more.
I like Chris Packham.

BTW, I think that mob of young Starlings I had have moved on now. First I noticed only 6 or 8 of the 14 coming, then 4 or 5, and now I haven't seen any at all for a little while.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 09:36 AM

Avocets have been slowly expanding their range Northwards,, and we have had breeding pairs for a few years now. Very elegant waders, one of our birds was ringed and we expected it to have come from the UK. Suprised to find it was from France.

Only encountered a Woodlark once, but familiar with all the others, glad to hear the Mob have moved on, quite a build up of starlings at the coast.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I rarely see starlings these days unless I go over near The Levels and see a murmeration. They seem to have disappeared.
A few years back a flock fell out of the sky in a village near Wells, never did find out why! Perhaps it's something to do with ley lines.
We saw a small group in the garden last week but like you, I haven't seen them for years. We used to get loads.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-06-2016, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Avocets have been slowly expanding their range Northwards,, and we have had breeding pairs for a few years now. Very elegant waders, one of our birds was ringed and we expected it to have come from the UK. Suprised to find it was from France.

Only encountered a Woodlark once, but familiar with all the others, glad to hear the Mob have moved on, quite a build up of starlings at the coast.

I think they said the Woodlark was gone, extinct back in the 60's, but they are coming back slowly.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2016, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think they said the Woodlark was gone, extinct back in the 60's, but they are coming back slowly.
Mainly found in the east anglia area in summer, and the south west they are resident.I saw mine at Weeting heath in Norfolk.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top