Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 07:54 PM

Re: 7,400 staff who don't speak English !!

It is a disgrace I will concede that point. But speaking English that makes no sense?? I was a civil servant you know-the higher up the food chain they went the more they made no sense.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
If it's any consolation to my friends in the UK,
believe me, we have the same problem in Australia.

Until recently, my 96yo mother was in a fairly large aged-care home with plenty of good Australian staff and some equally good Asians..
But as her condition worsened there were frequent phone calls to my home to keep me informed of developments.
Unfortunately, the caller was always Asian and I could rarely understand a word.

I have no problems at all with such folk holding down good well-paid jobs for which they are qualified.
But they should not be required to communicate, especially by phone, when they are patently unable to do so effectively.
It would strike me that the blame should be placed at the door of the private company owning or running the nursing home. If it's anything like here in the US, they are able to get the foreign folks to work for less pay, poorer working conditions, etc. that regular citizens would complain about. This is how rampant capitalism works. Pay the help as little as the government allows, then charge the highest rates that are also allowed, and you have maximized your profit.

Also, vote into power, a party who will de-regulate the particular industry so as to allow these abuses to go un-checked. That, IMHO, is where the blame should placed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
It would strike me that the blame should be placed at the door of the private company owning or running the nursing home. If it's anything like here in the US, they are able to get the foreign folks to work for less pay, poorer working conditions, etc. that regular citizens would complain about. This is how rampant capitalism works. Pay the help as little as the government allows, then charge the highest rates that are also allowed, and you have maximized your profit.
Yes, the love of money is the root of all evil.

(I just made that phrase up. Good, eh?)
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 10:54 PM

Spot on, JBR - - - spot on!!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2016, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
If it's any consolation to my friends in the UK,
believe me, we have the same problem in Australia.

Until recently, my 96yo mother was in a fairly large aged-care home with plenty of good Australian staff and some equally good Asians..
But as her condition worsened there were frequent phone calls to my home to keep me informed of developments.
Unfortunately, the caller was always Asian and I could rarely understand a word.

I have no problems at all with such folk holding down good well-paid jobs for which they are qualified.
But they should not be required to communicate, especially by phone, when they are patently unable to do so effectively.

I just fainted, but I'm alright again now. It was because I agree with you for once Pummy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2016, 12:23 AM

Spot on, JBR - - - spot on!!!
Of course I didn't make up that phrase; it's from Shakespeare, of course. I'm surprised no-one criticised me!

I suppose they're all asleep, though, and I should get to bed too.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US

23-07-2016, 01:08 AM

And you had the correct quote. More often we here it repeated as "Money is the root of all evil". Years ago, I may have misquoted it myself, until somebody corrected me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2016, 08:41 AM

There is no legal requirement for anyone in the UK to speak English is there? It is not the "official" language of the country is it? It just happens to be the language most people speak.

It's the same in Australia; though migrants used to have to pass the "language test" and they get more migration points if they speak English once in the country there is no official language (unlike, say, Malaysia where the official language is Bahasa even though over a third of the population speak Chinese).
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2016, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Of course I didn't make up that phrase; it's from Shakespeare, of course. I'm surprised no-one criticised me!

I suppose they're all asleep, though, and I should get to bed too.
I only just read it.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2016, 04:54 PM

..... the blame should be placed at the door of the private company owning or running the nursing home.

If it's anything like here in the US, they are able to get the foreign folks to work for less pay, poorer working conditions, etc. .....
Yes and no, Dave.
Yes, the company running the place should ensure that tasks are allocated to staff who are able to perform those tasks - particularly communicating effectively with the person paying the bills.

However, here, an Australian nurse or carer (or cook or cleaner) working in that place would be paid exactly the same amount as a similarly qualified person who arrived from Asia last week.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top