Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 01:29 PM

Re: Do you think you would be a different person if you had married a different person.

I thought a leopard never changed its spots?
So in a different relationship, does this mean a wife beater stops beating? A liar stops telling lies? A cheater stops cheating?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 02:10 PM

Re: Do you think you would be a different person if you had married a different person.

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I thought a leopard never changed its spots?
So in a different relationship, does this mean a wife beater stops beating? A liar stops telling lies? A cheater stops cheating?
I truly believe that can happen, some people are toxic together, but with other partners they thrive.

A previous friend was in a terrible relationship ended with her in prison for beating her husband, since she remarried no violence at all because her present husband talks to her about things where her previous man told her what to do and tried to control her.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Mmmm something to think about here . First husband , the meanest man I've ever known , unkind , uncaring and a bully . I didn't know who I was when I found the courage to leave after 16 yrs with my children . 5 yrs later married again and so wanted to be . He promised me everything (not that I ever asked ) I fell for it , it's lip service . Being an empath I so wanted to make him happy and forgot about myself ( I've learned , oh yes I've learned ) he was quite happy with the life I made for us , until one day I woke up .

Now 14 yrs on I live alone , I'm ME , I've found ME , Yay , I know who I am . I'm no longer an empath foolish enough to put others first , I'm strong , I'm independent , I am Woman ......

Ain't no man ever gonna treat me with disrespect again .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Lordruthio is very long suffering, but then so am I!
I think if a marriage is to survive there needs to be a great deal of compromise, give and take, allowing one another space etc if it's going to last.
We're very different, chalk and cheese really.
I think if I'd married me I'd have walked out years ago!!!
I tend to think the same but we must have something going for us Ruthio
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I tend to think the same but we must have something going for us Ruthio
Absolutely!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 05:12 PM

Yes I'm sure I would have been different and I'm sure he would be different too. That's the same for all life choices though would I be a different person had I not had children or not done this or that job or started my own business. Its lifes experiences that make us who we are. Who you marry is part of that,

He is lucky to have me... at least that's what I keep telling him.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Mmmm something to think about here . First husband , the meanest man I've ever known , unkind , uncaring and a bully . I didn't know who I was when I found the courage to leave after 16 yrs with my children . 5 yrs later married again and so wanted to be . He promised me everything (not that I ever asked ) I fell for it , it's lip service . Being an empath I so wanted to make him happy and forgot about myself ( I've learned , oh yes I've learned ) he was quite happy with the life I made for us , until one day I woke up .

Now 14 yrs on I live alone , I'm ME , I've found ME , Yay , I know who I am . I'm no longer an empath foolish enough to put others first , I'm strong , I'm independent , I am Woman ......

Ain't no man ever gonna treat me with disrespect again .
Good on you.
Hug
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 06:22 PM

For a marriage to work, there has to be compromise. If we married someone else, there would be a different set of compromises so yes, I do think we would be different.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 04:37 AM

I think meeting (and marrying) my wife made me a better person. She broadened my narrow, somewhat bigoted view of people around me. We met in our teens and are here now in our eighties, having been married for 61 years. Meeting her has given me the life and loving family that I have today and words can never do justice to the love and gratitude that I owe her.

So, yes, my partner did change my life - - -for the better.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Dave A , what a lovely post to read . It must be wonderful to love and be loved all those years .

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top