Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:37 PM

Re: Shredded Cow

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Well I always understood that it was a cheap way of processing and sending meat to us in the uk during the war - bully beef ????

Now we have become wealthy and it's seen as a supposedly cheap meat, but Argentinian beef is some of the best in the world
Corned beef isn't cheap these days. It had a big hike in price some years ago and has never really come down. I try and buy some if it is on offer (which is seldom).
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Corned beef isn't cheap these days. It had a big hike in price some years ago and has never really come down. I try and buy some if it is on offer (which is seldom).

I agree, I buy when I see it at £1.50 a tin. But it used to be as little as 59p and that wasn't so long ago

My favourite is corned beef plate pie. Lovely hot or cold. A real stomach cuddle
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:44 PM

Apart from the sandwiches I like it with potatoes or mixed into pasta.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:48 PM

Suggestion for those who love corned beef but find the price too high, make your own from scratch. I do, and the result is fabulous. It takes a bit of patience as it needs to sit in the brine for 10-14 days, in the fridge, but well worth the wait.
My first meal, after I've cooked it, is corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and a good rye bread. After that, in the following days, I make corned beef on rye sandwiches.
In fact, I have some now, sitting in brine.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Suggestion for those who love corned beef but find the price too high, make your own from scratch. I do, and the result is fabulous. It takes a bit of patience as it needs to sit in the brine for 10-14 days, in the fridge, but well worth the wait.
My first meal, after I've cooked it, is corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots and a good rye bread. After that, in the following days, I make corned beef on rye sandwiches.
In fact, I have some now, sitting in brine.
What Americans call corned beef is a long way from what us in the UK call corned beef
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:51 PM

Very rarely I buy a tin of corned beef (small). I think I fancy corned beef hash, but when I taste it, I'm just not impressed. My stomach next day doesn't like it either
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
What Americans call corned beef is a long way from what us in the UK call corned beef
Really ? How so ? Do you not have Jewish Deli's in the UK ?
Mel15
Nowhere

08-12-2017, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Really ? How so ? Do you not have Jewish Deli's in the UK ?
Not in my part of the U.K. no

What we are talking about in this thread is corned beef which is beef, that's pretty pink looking , with a very high fat content , and was known to most of us sold only in cans

Even now it comes in pre packed slices or from the deli counter, it arrived here in a can

Google Frey Bentos corned beef
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I think there is an EU Law that now states that mince beef be relabelled as Shredded Cow (bovine) does not contain nuts.

Although Shredded Bull (bovine) May contain nuts.
You are a little devil Rehab.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 10:59 PM

I have seen the genuine shredded beef being sold in the shops. Think pulled pork. The beef is slow cooked and is then pulled or shredded into bits. Can't see the point myself, but I suppose it makes it tender. It is popular in sandwiches, I believe, but I don't fancy it. By he way I also hate corned beef, potted beef and a lot of the things they do with good beef (including a lot of burgers). Pastrami is OK.

Picture of shredded beef. Yuck.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.9...r=1.25&pid=1.7

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top