Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 06:00 PM

Re: What, in your opinion, makes us Human?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Try this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05x96hv#play
You have to have an account for that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
You have to have an account for that.
Sorry, I didn't realise that. It must be linked to my iplayer account or something.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 07:14 PM

I don't normally contribute to serious threads but I thought I'd stick my two pennies worth in.....

What makes us human?

On the plus side I think the ability to stop and admire the wonder of nature and beauty in general. And our ability for abstract thinking and imagination.

On the minus side....our ability to hate...for years and years.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 07:23 PM

Ruthio, that's a fantastic series, been running years , and there are some really interesting essays Well worth catching up on a few
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Ruthio, that's a fantastic series, been running years , and there are some really interesting essays Well worth catching up on a few
Really? Thanks for the tip!
I also discovered that this particular inspiring woman has written loads!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 07:30 PM

Opposable thumbs...sorted..Bish bosh..job jobbed..next ?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 10:50 PM

The answer is staring us in the face Ruthio......We are the most intelligent animal that has ever resided on this planet.

We build on knowledge year upon year and that makes us by far the most innovative species ever evolved on Earth.

On the downside, it will be this headlong and accumulating drive into knowledge that will be our (and most other life forms) fall into extinction....This thirst for knowledge and understanding is unsustainable.....

No other species can learn and store information as humans do, and I'm not even sure that humans originated or belong here on Earth. There is no other animal that comes even close to a human being.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I don't normally contribute to serious threads but I thought I'd stick my two pennies worth in.....

What makes us human?

On the plus side I think the ability to stop and admire the wonder of nature and beauty in general. And our ability for abstract thinking and imagination.

On the minus side....our ability to hate...for years and years.
I'm glad you took the plunge ... the more who join in the better.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 02:20 AM

I have to agree with the negatives, particularly the gradual destruction of the planet. Many bad bits are conveniently filed under "inhumane" which I think says it all. So - pointing the finger of blame on others would be a human trait. The good would be art and learning. I've not seen any other animal painting like leonardo or even cooking a gourmet meal...

The other "good" stuff is part of survival - empathy, love, understanding, affection etc are all traits you can see in animal behaviour.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 07:18 AM

Not knowing what a Higgs Boson is, but, carrying on regardless, in a particular fashion.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top