Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 05:25 PM

Re: Joining the Army

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I too was shocked when I read about this. It seems Capita have a lot to answer for! and what idiot handed over such an important matter as the running of our Recruitment offices to a private concern? they need their ruddy heads examined.

Years ago, when I joined the WRAF, I received my letter to attend the RAF Recruitment Centre in Shrewsbury, I went along there, nervous as to what was expected of me. I needn't have worried. There was a female Flight Sargeant and a female Corporal interviewing new would-be recruits. They were kind, reassuring, explained everything, asking me lots of questions,and in turn ensuring that they were ready to answer any questions/queries I had. then it was on to the first floor for a written exam. On to the second floor to have my eyes tested, colour blindness test and my hearing tested. then finally it was up to the third floor for a full medical examination by a RAF Doctor and Nurse.

This was all done in one morning. Two weeks later I had my letter of acceptance with a list of the careers within the WRAF I could choose on the result of the exam paper I had taken.

Why break something that was not broken??? idiots!
Costs SG...’apparently’ it’s cheaper to outsource. yeh right

Things have changed..SODEXO a French firm run catering in barracks now, no more military chefs except for military ops.
NAAFI was taken over years ago by SPAR who insisted that all troop bars in the barracks be closed down. They were.
Troops are not allowed microwaves or toasters, kettles etc, Health and Safety concerns...yeh right..
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 05:50 PM

A result of those new things no doubt?

What are they called?

Oh Yeh. ....A claim form
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 05:59 PM

And it increases the profit margin...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 09:27 PM

Predictable, of course.

After greedy lawyers and opportunist middle eastern claimants, it was said that fewer people would see any attraction in the armed forces. Then, of course, there was the RM who shot dead an enemy soldier and was sent to jail for doing it.

But why should be be bothered about the armed forces? The government clearly isn't, although they still ensure that we spend the required 2% of our GDP as required by NATO. (Of course, most of the other European nations don't bother.) I suspect that much of that defence expenditure goes on general officers and senior MoD civil servants, though. After all, 'more chiefs than indians' is what we do best, isn't it?

I'm just waiting to see what our wonderful government does when it really needs the support of what's left of our armed forces. Another Falklands Islands or even Gibraltar, and they'll be running around sh***ing themselves wondering what to do!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Costs SG...’apparently’ it’s cheaper to outsource. yeh right

Things have changed..SODEXO a French firm run catering in barracks now, no more military chefs except for military ops.
NAAFI was taken over years ago by SPAR who insisted that all troop bars in the barracks be closed down. They were.
Troops are not allowed microwaves or toasters, kettles etc, Health and Safety concerns...yeh right..
Good grief Rehab, I never knew that! I know times change but it certainly doesn't seem for the better. I well remember walking into the RAF mess hall at RAF Stanmore Park for the first time.
They had the RAF Chefs in their white chefs hats and whites, there was the usual long self-service counter with a selection of about a dozen meals, with separate canopied counters for steaks and salads. Then it was off to the NAAFI for a drink. They had the dance floor in the NAAFI, where I jived away to my hearts content. The thought that Sodexo are now running catering now, makes my heart sink for the recruits.
Military Chefs were always known to be the best chefs in civvy street, and if any restaurant got hold of ex-military chefs they counted themselves very lucky indeed.

I also find it hard to believe SPAR is running the NAAFI now, I remember when one of the girls working in the NAAFI shop was moaning to me about making the sandwiches because her boss insisted that when she made them she had to butter the whole slice of bread right into the corners to ensure the sandwich "didn't curl". Too right! that is dedication to her trade.I somehow can't imagine SPAR being so conscientious about the people paying for their wares in the shops.Maybe I am wrong.

As for closing the NAAFI Bars down? bloomin sacrilege!!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

20-02-2018, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Predictable, of course.

After greedy lawyers and opportunist middle eastern claimants, it was said that fewer people would see any attraction in the armed forces. Then, of course, there was the RM who shot dead an enemy soldier and was sent to jail for doing it.

But why should be be bothered about the armed forces? The government clearly isn't, although they still ensure that we spend the required 2% of our GDP as required by NATO. (Of course, most of the other European nations don't bother.) I suspect that much of that defence expenditure goes on general officers and senior MoD civil servants, though. After all, 'more chiefs than indians' is what we do best, isn't it?

I'm just waiting to see what our wonderful government does when it really needs the support of what's left of our armed forces. Another Falklands Islands or even Gibraltar, and they'll be running around sh***ing themselves wondering what to do!
Here are some figures for you Army only but we do have more Admirals and Captain than ships..interesting analogy ..we have more fighters in museums than there are currently flying.
Figures

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	7F97BEA6-3B71-40D3-9AC6-E554126FF0D5.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	5208  
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

20-02-2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Good grief Rehab, I never knew that! I know times change but it certainly doesn't seem for the better. I well remember walking into the RAF mess hall at RAF Stanmore Park for the first time.
They had the RAF Chefs in their white chefs hats and whites, there was the usual long self-service counter with a selection of about a dozen meals, with separate canopied counters for steaks and salads. Then it was off to the NAAFI for a drink. They had the dance floor in the NAAFI, where I jived away to my hearts content. The thought that Sodexo are now running catering now, makes my heart sink for the recruits.
Military Chefs were always known to be the best chefs in civvy street, and if any restaurant got hold of ex-military chefs they counted themselves very lucky indeed.

I also find it hard to believe SPAR is running the NAAFI now, I remember when one of the girls working in the NAAFI shop was moaning to me about making the sandwiches because her boss insisted that when she made them she had to butter the whole slice of bread right into the corners to ensure the sandwich "didn't curl". Too right! that is dedication to her trade.I somehow can't imagine SPAR being so conscientious about the people paying for their wares in the shops.Maybe I am wrong.

As for closing the NAAFI Bars down? bloomin sacrilege!!
how times have changed eh ?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 10:16 PM

The army really isn't a suitable career for many; the proportion of army personnel who end up sleeping rough, in hostels and/or on drugs is quite appalling.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

20-02-2018, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
The army really isn't a suitable career for many; the proportion of army personnel who end up sleeping rough, in hostels and/or on drugs is quite appalling.
This might shed some light on that statement for you.

http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/node/6478/full
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 10:22 PM

I've met many homeless ex-soldiers and other army folk - it really is such a shame as I think it a noble cause unlike the ignominious task of war in general.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top