Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 11:27 AM

Re: Female armed forces changes.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's great Bruce but what worries me is hand to hand combat. I can't imagine any woman doing well against a really fit determined man. As I said if we could we'd have mixed boxing matches and we just don't. I can't remember the woman's name but one female boxer tried it and said no matter how big and strong the women she had fought were she had never been hit as hard as an equal weight man hit her in the ring. We just aren't equipped for it.
That is where you are wrong, I looked it up and there are male and female boxing matches.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
That is where you are wrong, I looked it up and there are male and female boxing matches.
Not professionally T and most women realise they can't compete.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not professionally T and most women realise they can't compete.
I don't know why you keep dissing the strength of women.

Since I last posted on this thread, under one hour ago, I have cut down a 6ft high yew tree with an ordinary saw, which is quite hard work. Cut it up into pieces small enough to go into the garden waste bin, and tided up the mess. I am not tall, 5' 2.5" and don't have bulging biceps. I have mentioned before I managed to take a single wardrobe down the stairs once, it wasn't easy, but I did it.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 12:49 PM

Since I last posted on this thread, under one hour ago, I have cut down a 6ft high yew tree with an ordinary saw, which is quite hard work. Cut it up into pieces small enough to go into the garden waste bin, and tided up the mess. I am not tall, 5' 2.5" and don't have bulging biceps. I have mentioned before I managed to take a single wardrobe down the stairs once, it wasn't easy, but I did it.
Ok Tara, have made a note not to get on the wrong side of you..
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 01:08 PM

I'm sure that the Armed Forces have brought in this law about women having the same right to fight alongside their male counterparts as just a means to ensure they keep up with equal rights. This is not to say that women are not every bit as determined as many of the men at everything they go through during basic training. Woman are tough cookies when it comes to a lot of the drill tasks given.

However, an example of women given the same roles as their male counterparts - the young women of Israel who are, unless married, have children or considered not physically able, conscripted into the army, (IDS). The men for 3 years, women for 2 years. It's their equivalent of going to University, and they fight if needed alongside each other on the front line, in tanks, on foot and hand-to-hand combat if necessary. Of course there are many safer jobs within IDS too, but my goodness, they certainly don't treat women as less capable over there.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 03:54 PM

This decision is in my opinion (and others) designed to do something about the lack of people of both sexes seeing the military as a career option.

A devastating new report has highlighted skill shortages in 102 critical areas across the armed forces. Commanders have reportedly had to cancel leave as a result in an effort to maintain operations.

The report from the Committee of Public Accounts referenced a shortfall of 8,200 regular personnel, and stated that the Ministry of Defence doesn’t expect to resolve this until 2022 at the earliest. The number of regular personnel was 18% below requirement in the 102 critical areas with skill shortages.

The news comes amid serious political questions as to whether the UK will remain a ‘tier-one military power’. Indeed the Defence Select Committee recently criticised the government for defence cuts and called for defence spending to return to 3% of GDP.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
This decision is in my opinion (and others) designed to do something about the lack of people of both sexes seeing the military as a career option.
Exactly, and one reason being the recent legal activities aiming to prosecute British servicemen for doing what they were ordered to do.

Not only the Northern Ireland examples, but let us remember the Marine sergeant who was imprisoned for shooting dead an injured enemy in the Middle East. He was dying from wounds, remember, and it was impossible to obtain medical help for him. In effect, he put him out of his misery.

I can well understand potential future servicemen (and women) deciding against that as a career when the country's legal people and politicians treat them that way.

The country gets what it deserves.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:09 PM

Recently my granddaughter asked me about joining the Forces. I explained the poor accomadation, the poor food (all of which she would be expected to pay for) the threat of legal action, the long tours, and the utter boredom of garrison life, that she would be better off taking her excellent education results into a civilian career.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 06:22 PM

Wonderful ... but could a man have done it quicker?
I can pick Mr M up ... but I'd still prefer a male soldier guarding my back in a warzone.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

28-10-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Wonderful ... but could a man have done it quicker?
I can pick Mr M up ... but I'd still prefer a male soldier guarding my back in a warzone.
That seems to be sexist to me.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top