Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 04:03 PM

Re: recycling

Originally Posted by maryl ->
My son lives in the New Forest and parts of it have to use plastic bags, black for general rubbish and clear for recycables. With the beautiful ponies roaming and foraging about, right up to their house and into their front garden, they keep the bags secure in the back garden and have put them out the front before work on bin-day and hope to God the ponies leave well alone. Unbelievable!
Mary We have plastic bags only here, if you put a bin out the bin men can't be bothered to remove the lid and lift out the bag they leave it.

So we have to clean up the mess and torn bags left by the scavenging foxes or get up early to take the bags out

Last winter when we had the snow the tracks of a fox could clearly be seen going to the bags at the end of each drive. I guess it chose to rip open those with the strongest smells of meat.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 04:06 PM

Here we are requested to thoroughly wash out any containers and tins before putting them in the waste. What bothers me is doesn't the water required to do this (and it needs to be hot water for some items) cancel out the value of recycling that item.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 05:24 PM

We have recyled for years, far to many to remember, our problem is which charity do we recyle to.

Our bins are:-
Black for general rubbish, collected weekly
Large green for garden waste, collected fortnightly
Small green for paper, collected fortnightly
Purple plastic bag for bottles, tins, plastic, collected fortnightly.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 06:11 PM

I pity anyone who is colourblind ...... what would happen if they got their sacks/bins mixed up?
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 06:56 PM

I'm in Canada and in our city we have:
Small blue bin for paper and cardboard.
Large blue bin for containers (plastic, tin).
Bags, usually black or dark green for general waste.
Large brown paper bags for yard waste. These generally get rained on before the city collects them so the bottoms fall out and you have to re-bag them.
There are depots for hazardous waste (fluorescent light bulbs, old paint, dead batteries, chemicals etc.) but no pickup.

Our schedule for the bags and blue and green bins is Monday one week, Tuesday the next and so on, with no pickup at all on the 6th week (after the Friday pickup).

Yard waste is picked up about 6 times a year. I never remember when so I set mine out when the neighbours do.

We don't have foxes here but raccoons and squirrels do tear apart the bags sometimes.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 07:01 PM

No foxes, Annie? We have urban foxes here in Washington, I've seen one in the alley behind my former house! They come from the woods, 2 blocks away, also the raccoons and possums, all of which used to tear up the bags before we were issued bins.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 07:06 PM

My sister gets foxes and coyotes but she's in a rural area. I'm told we have possums here but I've yet to see one.

On the recycling note, she has to buy tags for each bag of trash or recycling she wants taken away and attach the tags when she places it all at the road. No tag, no pickup. And I think she's limited to 4 bags or bins. The tags are either $1 or $2, I'm not sure.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Paying for tags, outrageous! We're doing our share to help the planet by recycling, and they want a fee? Does she live in Canada too?
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

05-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Yes, north of Toronto. I know there can be problems with folks driving into the country to toss trash bags along the roadside but I don't see how only picking up trash that's tagged by the homeowner will help with that issue. And she pays taxes, of course, so you'd think garbage and recycling would be covered.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2011, 01:22 AM

My four wheelie bins are identical to Aitch's, as we both live in the Wigan borough.

It would never occur to me to put a dirty can in the bin, so they're washed out with the labels removed, and bottles, be they plastic or glass are also washed out.

Problem for me is, I have to keep all four on sentry duty at the front of my house because I can't physically drag them in and out of my entry on each occasion.

We only got the blue bins last week and I grumpily stood it with the other three on my return home from work.

So, what next me wonders? I only have four soldiers standing guard at the moment, but methinks I'll end up with a battalion.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top