Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Re: Old delivery systems

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
Mags, I think they set them up in rural locations when they shut lots of the post offices down. I've been in one and they are functional! I've also seen a mobile bank when I've been driving around, a Nat West one!
That must be so convenient and a lot friendlier than in the towns when all you get is "Next please!"
Margaret
Somerset
Margaret is female  Margaret has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 07:18 PM

It is amazing that it is so little time ago - my grandchildren look at me as though I lived in Victorian times !!!! We had milk delivered horse and cart, we had to take jugs out to him and he ladled the milk into them. Horse and cart too for the coalman and the bread delivery and the rag and bone man. Us kids used to hang onto the back of the bread cart and get told off by mum. The bakery was just round the corner and us kids used to hang about outside and were given bits of crusts etc. Mum used to go ballistic, she said it looked like we were poor, but, it was hot and scrummy! Nothing like that here any more.
Margaret
Somerset
Margaret is female  Margaret has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 07:19 PM

To avoid duplication - I am now Margaret and not Meg25 !!!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Margaret ->
To avoid duplication - I am now Margaret and not Meg25 !!!!
I must admit I did wonder who you were!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 08:06 PM

I wondered too.... how did this "new lady" suddenly appear out of no where with so many posts ...
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 08:34 PM

The Milk delivery is done in the very early morning, the young lady in question passes my place around 4.30, and her van seems to be half empty, so probably half way round, she then comes around on a friday evening to collect her money, I dont know where she is based, but she seems very reliable, the coalman comes once a fortnight, he gets paid as he delivers, but I have no Idea where he gets his coal from, as there are no mines left anywhere in the wigan area to my knowledge
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 09:45 PM

My neighbour gets her milk delivered by the milkman.
Their is also a little green van that delivers tea, sugar. home made cakes and biscuits.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 10:06 PM

There is a milkman who lives a few doors down the street from me-no matter what the weather he still manages to deliver his milk.

Only ever see one coalman on his rounds-his grandfather used to deliver coal to us when we were young-business has been passed down through the family.

Thought for a minute Margaret, I'd overlooked welcoming you to the forum!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by FridgeMagnet ->
This was in North Finchley. As I said, the old United Dairies depot.
Thanks FM, just around the corner then. Wonder if it was the same depot?
Lupara
Europeland
Lupara is male  Lupara has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2011, 10:34 AM

My mum used to get her milk delivered in bottles until she passed away a couple of years ago. As far as I am aware, the diary still delivers to other houses in the area.

I believe that the lad that delivers it is the current owner of the dairy, which is called Hibberts. His name is Andrew.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top