Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 10:20 AM

Re: Recycling centres close

Our non-recycling changed to being collected every three weeks. The number of rats and mice have already increased since that started (Obviously - duh). If more services are stopped because of this virus, the Country will simply turn into the disease ridden, third world country that our politicians desire.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 10:38 AM

Meanwhile, here in sunny Manchester (well, it's supposed to be sunny on Saturday), the council has agreed, presumably after public pressure, to do one more green bin collection before stopping for the foreseeable.

I hear the valid points about the concept of staying at home and avoiding unnecessary trips. However, given that fly tipping seems to be on the increase, as predicted, and that there are concerns about the dangers of mice/rats/bacteria etc as the weather continues to improve, then this might be a case where, in the public health's interest, the re-opening of public tips ought to be reconsidered.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Meanwhile, here in sunny Manchester (well, it's supposed to be sunny on Saturday), the council has agreed, presumably after public pressure, to do one more green bin collection before stopping for the foreseeable.

I hear the valid points about the concept of staying at home and avoiding unnecessary trips. However, given that fly tipping seems to be on the increase, as predicted, and that there are concerns about the dangers of mice/rats/bacteria etc as the weather continues to improve, then this might be a case where, in the public health's interest, the re-opening of public tips ought to be reconsidered.
I agree Dex and they need to remove the ridiculous charges too.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Sorry, I hadn't made it clear. I was referring to those places where the public can go and get rid of excess rubbish. Our black bin is overflowing, as are some of our neighbours and it'll be a week before these get emptied. Many people mitigate the situation by taking excess waste to the tip. But these are closed to the public.

Given that isolation may well end up by householders doing a vigorous spring clean (partly due to many being worried about them actually surviving this and not wanting to add to the burden of offspring), keeping these sites open seems sensible and manageable.
I'm assuming that your bins are the same as ours. Our green bin (food and garden waste) is the largest, the blue (paper) and brown (bottles and cans) are a little smaller, and the black bin (non recyclable) by far the smallest.

It is no coincidence that the black bin (collected fortnightly) is always completely full and, in fact, usually requires a heavy hand to cram the stuff down in order to close the lid, as they won't empty it if the lid is not closed!

Our council have now decided that green bins will not routinely be collected (due to staff shortages!) and any food waste should be put in the black bin - you know, the one which is always crammed full!

Fortunately, Marge uses most garden waste and some food waste for composting, so we're OK, though others may not be so lucky.

If collections are missed, the bins are too full, and the recycling centres are closed, what do we do?

Well, we already have some rubbish that we had intended to take to the recycling centre, so this will be deposited behind our shed! That area is not visible to any neighbours as it is surrounded by fences, so that's where the stuff will go.

Even when (if) the recycling centres re-open, we are now allowed only 52 visits a year (one a week) in order to cut waste! Normally, this is not a problem, but if we have a large collection of waste which cannot be disposed of in any other way, and we cannot exceed the specified number of depositions in the tip, it will have to stay behind the shed!
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Our non-recycling changed to being collected every three weeks. The number of rats and mice have already increased since that started (Obviously - duh). If more services are stopped because of this virus, the Country will simply turn into the disease ridden, third world country that our politicians desire.
They wanted to do that over here in St Helens, but increase it to 4 weekly! I think that,s stupid, personally if it comes to that I shall be buying a garden incinerator and burning my stuff. A mate of mine had a shop and a number of takeaways began to open in the same street, these were owned by foreigners, who were reluctant to pay to have their rubbish removed and black bags began to build up in the entry, pretty soon they were overrun with rats!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 10:57 AM

I believe that will eventually happen anyway, due to diverse reasons! As I've said before, I'm glad I'm the age I am because the future doesn't look particularly bright!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

03-04-2020, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by sparky ->
They wanted to do that over here in St Helens, but increase it to 4 weekly! I think that,s stupid, personally if it comes to that I shall be buying a garden incinerator and burning my stuff. A mate of mine had a shop and a number of takeaways began to open in the same street, these were owned by foreigners, who were reluctant to pay to have their rubbish removed and black bags began to build up in the entry, pretty soon they were overrun with rats!
It's the same here sparky. We know where the rats originate from, the local Indian take away and the burger grill up the road. Interestingly our council decided to continue our three week collection after the trial proved 'popular with residents'- really? I don't ever remember being asked.

I feel sorry for you if your collections are increased to every four weeks.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 11:01 AM

I agree Dex and they need to remove the ridiculous charges too.
We've been told (before the outbreak) that we can only go to the tip 52 times a year. Indeed, they are using ANPR, presumably linked to our addresses to help enforce this.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

03-04-2020, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Our council have now decided that green bins will not routinely be collected (due to staff shortages!) and any food waste should be put in the black bin - you know, the one which is always crammed full!
Not sure if you're Manchester or Stockport. Manchester has emailed residents about one more collection over the next 2 week cycle. Some of my neighbours haven't received this, possibly due to them not using email too receive their council tax bills (so they're not registered).
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 11:18 AM

Hi

I have a garden incinerator.

Normally used only for onion skins and nasty weeds.

No more recycling here so cardboard and shrub cuttings

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top