Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2011, 10:34 PM

Re: Oh what a Bonnie Collie

Thanks Maryl, agree Border Collies are wonderful dogs but unfortunately they don't all make great pets! There are lots and lots of them here in Cumbria.

Its very sad when they are no longer with us but at least you have happy memories of Bobby and Murphy.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2011, 10:45 PM

Bonnie is gorgeous....and the scenery is stunning
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
Thanks Maryl, agree Border Collies are wonderful dogs but unfortunately they don't all make great pets! There are lots and lots of them here in Cumbria.

Its very sad when they are no longer with us but at least you have happy memories of Bobby and Murphy.
Just out of interest, Marian ..... why don't they make good pets?
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2011, 11:01 PM

We always had Border collies when I was with Mum and dad mostly rescues but they all wonderful dogs never had a bad one I suffer with my sinuses now and need a dog that doesnt moult hence I now have a Schnauzer our Collies were all girls...
I love the bluebell photo and the mountain top one is spectacular...
Sue
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Just out of interest, Marian ..... why don't they make good pets?
A lot of them do make good pets but a lot don't. Apparently Collies are the most common dog to end up in rescue places. They are bred to be working dogs and can become frustrated at not being able to round up sheep which can result in a whole load of problems.

They are extremely intelligent and need a lot of exercise and stimulation. Apparently a lot of Collies who don't make good working dogs will often make good pets and a lot of Collies who don't make good pets quite often make good working dogs!! Also whilst I know lots and lots of people with Collies only one person had their's as a puppy, everybody seems to have them as a rescue! I got Bonnie at 9months old and was her 3rd home in that short time simply because she was full of beans

I could go on and on....... I've been lucky with Bonnie and I know lots and lots of lovely collies and cannot imagine ever being without one. I remember a lady phoning me a while ago asking about home boarding and she had a collie who probably would be best as a working dog, she was unable to manage it and put it in kennels so she could have a break!! I did give her some phone nos. of people who might be able to help and often wonder what happened to the collie.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Bonnie is stunning, she's got such white legs and chest, she's in lovely condition. What a lovely dog.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2011, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the explanation Marian, that's interesting. They certainly are beautiful dogs and their looks could possibly tempt people to get one without looking into the pros and cons first.
marpaul
North Cumbria

02-11-2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by suey ->
We always had Border collies when I was with Mum and dad mostly rescues but they all wonderful dogs never had a bad one I suffer with my sinuses now and need a dog that doesnt moult hence I now have a Schnauzer our Collies were all girls...
I love the bluebell photo and the mountain top one is spectacular...
Sue
Thanks Suey, what a shame about your sinuses....they certainly do moult, never known a dog moult as much as Bonnie

Next time you are in Keswick I can recommend Sale Fell which is fairly easy and is between Keswick and Cockermouth! Views are stunning and your little Schnauzer would enjoy it!
marpaul
North Cumbria

02-11-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
Bonnie is stunning, she's got such white legs and chest, she's in lovely condition. What a lovely dog.
Thanks Alicat
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2011, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
Thanks Suey, what a shame about your sinuses....they certainly do moult, never known a dog moult as much as Bonnie

Next time you are in Keswick I can recommend Sale Fell which is fairly easy and is between Keswick and Cockermouth! Views are stunning and your little Schnauzer would enjoy it!
Thanks for that I will look it up we had one Collie once (Beauty) and she was terrified of cows but she was the best pet you could wish for and ace with children my niece used to ride on her back she was a fantastic dog that holds a special place in my heart

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top