Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 12:22 AM

Re: Four wheel drives in Supermarket car parks

I can't speak for Canada as I've never been but, in the USA, the parking bays are much wider than ours here. It is frustrating to be boxed in both sides by huge people carriers etc because you have to back out into a narrow lane in order to make your manoeuvre to get out.

However, the other night, I was nipping to the shop and I was to make a right turn onto the next road but, on my right, at the very edge of the corner, was one of these monsters, so I couldn't see if there was a car coming down. I had to nose out very gently to see if my way was clear. If the driver had parked a few feet away from the corner, I would have been able to see a bit more clearly.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 11:34 AM

I can't see why there is any difference now to any time in the past. There have always been big cars and small cars, high cars and low cars, narrow cars and wide cars, so what's new exactly? Why are 4x4s in particular singled out these days, even a Mini is a foot wider now to what it was in the sixties...
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 02:55 PM

The problem with a lot of the 4x4s is that the drivers have no idea how to drive them and in particular park them. Most will probably never use the 4WD function so why have them ?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
The problem with a lot of the 4x4s is that the drivers have no idea how to drive them and in particular park them. Most will probably never use the 4WD function so why have them ?
There are rubbish drivers of all sorts of cars. The drivers who you say don't know how to drive 4x4s would probably be just as useless regardless of what type of car they drove. I've watched in awe as some people struggle to park the smallest of cars between two other cars at the supermarket....
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
There are rubbish drivers of all sorts of cars. The drivers who you say don't know how to drive 4x4s would probably be just as useless regardless of what type of car they drove. I've watched in awe as some people struggle to park the smallest of cars between two other cars at the supermarket....
Very true Barry.............
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I can't see why there is any difference now to any time in the past. There have always been big cars and small cars, high cars and low cars, narrow cars and wide cars, so what's new exactly? Why are 4x4s in particular singled out these days, even a Mini is a foot wider now to what it was in the sixties...
Barry I think the popularity of 4X4 and 'people carriers' which are much taller than large or estate cars is a relatively recent thing. You occasional saw a Land rover or Range rover in a supermarket car park but I can't remember seeing car parks full of them years ago.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

18-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Barry I think the popularity of 4X4 and 'people carriers' which are much taller than large or estate cars is a relatively recent thing. You occasional saw a Land rover or Range rover in a supermarket car park but I can't remember seeing car parks full of them years ago.
Just a sign of our affluent times I guess, but I do agree that some people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near to the driving seat...
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 08:50 PM

Problem is that we have got lazy and not prepared to walk from a little way off.
How many times when you go to a supermarket most have parked as close to the door instead of walking across a car park.
I can remember when I drove a Ford Transit caravanette I never had a problem with parking, and they were a lot bigger than 4 x 4's.
What gets me is when you go past a school when they are leaving, it is every other car a 4 x 4's, with a woman and child the only occupants.
We are just a lazy nation!
The Dog Lover
Watford

19-04-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
What gets me is when you go past a school when they are leaving, it is every other car a 4 x 4's, with a woman and child the only occupants.
We are just a lazy nation!
My ex husband had a saying : the bigger the 4x4 the smaller the tits !
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

19-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
My ex husband had a saying : the bigger the 4x4 the smaller the tits !
Or the dick Val... Hang on a minute, what am I saying, I have a huge 4x4...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top