Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Re: Christmas

Christmas is one of those funny times of year when people say you shouldnt be on your own but sometimes it is nice just to chill. I am not religious by any means and when i lived on my own i used to tell people that i was going to friends at christmas so they didnt invite me. I used to prepare the full works for one a few drinks watch telly, as you say there is a big difference to being on your own and lonely.
I have now been married for sixteen years, our children are no longer with us so me and my husband still celebrate christmas as though we are kids and enjoy the day but we do what suits us not what is expected by others. We have no one else to worry about so the present buying is non existant. But i still love going round the shops and seeing what is available. I love the build up to the day not the day itself.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 12:22 PM

I'll be on here on Christmas Day as well probably in the afternoon at some point. If my friend does come round for the day she will have a sleep after dinner anyway. She is a lot older than me but we get on well.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 05:10 PM

It's so comforting that there are others who celebrate alone; sometimes people make me feel as if there's something wrong with me preferring to have my own quiet celebration and traditional dinner by myself. To each her/his own; one size doesn't fit all!
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
It's so comforting that there are others who celebrate alone; sometimes people make me feel as if there's something wrong with me preferring to have my own quiet celebration and traditional dinner by myself. To each her/his own; one size doesn't fit all!
We won't be on our own anyway Eileen. You will have Leia and I will have Becky and Jess !
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 05:50 PM

LOL, yes, how could I forget the Princess? She likes the holiday meal preparations, as I prefer a bread stuffing she gets the giblets! A happy cat!
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 05:54 PM

post deleted
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I caused a minor earth quake when I refused to go for Christmas lunch with my son /his family/ his in-laws last year.
I am past making polite conversation all day with people in whom I have no interest (the in laws), I would rather be at home alone with my little dog, a good meal and a bottle of wine .

Selfish I know but I am aware of the passing years and my limited time here and I will spend that time how I choose .

As it turned out we had deep snow on Christmas day so I would have had a problem getting there.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 07:29 PM

When my son had grown up I joined a certain voluntary organisation, some of the best Christmases I have ever had were spent with them .

For 10 years I spent part of every Christmas day or night on duty so that members with young children could be off.

As well as being there for our 'clients' we had a constant stream of people calling at the door, the homeless, those alone and in despair, anyone who needed a friend.
We also had people calling bearing gifts for our members, tins of biscuits usually or chocolates .

This really did feel like celebrating the true spirit of Christmas
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 07:50 PM

I promised myself I would avoid the C........ word as far back as September as a personal protest to the greed that surrounds the early pushing of the event. I will gladly us it and join in the festive mood from December 1st.
I think there is nothing as nice as spending the festival in the way you want to spend it yourself, that freedom of knowing some well meaning person is not going to intrude and spoil the way you wanted it. The most of us have it thrust upon us and have to sit there with a silly hat on and listen to the same old chatter year after year, the same stupid festive songs over and over, and if you don't join in you are a grumpy old git, If I didn't have the help of a few drinks I would go completely off my rocker, and it seems to get longer every year with the new year nutters coming next.
Those of you on your own, count your blessings.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2011, 08:04 PM

Christmas and what it means to me!
Just the thought of it makes me feel weary.
The hype the extra work and pressure of living up to what is expected gets harder to deal with as time goes on.
I am not religious and the treats we used to look forwards to getting at Christmas are there all year round now.
So at the risk of appearing to be a killjoy I would rather give Christmas a miss as it is too over rated and too expensive even though I have family and won't be on my own.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top