Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 03:07 AM

Re: Free speech at university?

Oh, heck yes, I am a Voltaire fan and even more of his brilliant love, Marquise Emilie du Chatalet who once translated and corrected Sir Isaac Newton's Philosophić Naturalis Principia Mathematica , which Voltaire popularized. Letters, books, are all priceless in tapping into that great mind - and yes, my appreciation was inspired when attending university doing research on Catherine the Great (whom he also developed a mutual admiration in writing) and du Chatelet.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 03:37 AM

Never went to Uni I was always very interested in the Enlightenment,Rousseau,Diderot,Voltaire,etc....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Never went to Uni I was always very interested in the Enlightenment,Rousseau,Diderot,Voltaire,etc....
Self-directed learning is the best there is. It sure stays with you longer!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 06:06 AM

Yes,perhaps,
Going to university is not just learning though,is it?It's meeting lots of interesting people.Where did you go ?Did you enjoy it?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
A student loan is not a grant. I'm still paying mine back.
Obviously, you're one of the ones who worked hard and got a good job. Good for you.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

20-02-2021, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Yes,perhaps,
Going to university is not just learning though,is it?It's meeting lots of interesting people.Where did you go ?Did you enjoy it?
My degree work was completed the University of Hawai'i, University of Florida, and University of Kansas.

You are right about meeting interesting people, but I was up to my neck in coursework (not a natural learner, thus having to work very hard) most of the time. I did love my studies though, particularly in astronomy (Hubble telescope mirror corrections, spectrometry, and Voyager II Neptune imagery).
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
-snip-
Maybe you could explain what a "mickey mouse degree" is? Is that something peculiar to Britain?..Honest question. I have never studied there. I have visited Oxford, Cambridge and Bath Universties. I must say I never saw a lot of goofing off there. Only people tearing around looking vert busy and stressed.
-snip-
"Mickey Mouse degrees" is a term for university degree courses regarded as worthless or irrelevant. Degrees in subjects like in Media Studies or Film & TV Studies count as Mickey Mouse degrees IMHO.

These degree courses started to gain favour when Tony B Liar and his cronies had all the perfectly good further education colleges, polytechnics, etc convert to 2nd class universities. These unis needed to fill the student body with bums on seats so came up with these "Mickey Mouse" subjects that are usually awarded on the basis of a series of essays rather than by examination.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
"Mickey Mouse degrees" is a term for university degree courses regarded as worthless or irrelevant. Degrees in subjects like in Media Studies or Film & TV Studies count as Mickey Mouse degrees IMHO.

These degree courses started to gain favour when Tony B Liar and his cronies had all the perfectly good further education colleges, polytechnics, etc convert to 2nd class universities. These unis needed to fill the student body with bums on seats so came up with these "Mickey Mouse" subjects that are usually awarded on the basis of a series of essays rather than by examination.
Excellent explanation.

I remember in the good old days, 'Social Studies' was the one to come up for derision. I'm sure we've all heard about the graffiti in the student toilets, just above the toilet roll:
"Social Studies degrees. Please take one."
Psmith
melbourne australia

20-02-2021, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
My degree work was completed the University of Hawai'i, University of Florida, and University of Kansas.

You are right about meeting interesting people, but I was up to my neck in coursework (not a natural learner, thus having to work very hard) most of the time. I did love my studies though, particularly in astronomy (Hubble telescope mirror corrections, spectrometry, and Voyager II Neptune imagery).
Thanks.
Is that why you are in Florida? You are waiting in line at the KSC for a flight?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top