Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 09:47 PM

Re: Derek Chauvin murder trial starts

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Ah ha. I see one of our posters actually believes that the police have a right to kill a suspect if that suspect is merely unruly.

rather reminds me of a case from Portland Oregon where a nurse in a psychiatric hospital called the police on an unruly patient. The police arrived and entered the ward, and approached the patient who was brandishing a wooden pencil. The two police officers, "fearing for their lives" (ha ha) shot the patient dead.

It is a sad day for America when the police have an absolute right to kill anyone who is "unruly".
Twisting what is writ helps no one, least of all the person who twists it.

As for a wooden pencil, a sharp pencil in the hands of a nutter can definitely be a lethal weapon.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 10:16 PM

AD thinks the police have a right to kill anyone who is un-cooperative.
He does not think that "less than lethal" force, such as pepper spray, or taser weapon, or even a night stick or 6 cops physically manhandling, needs to be used PRIOR to deadly force.
Shame on you, AD. Shame. Shame. Shame.

I say again. Once a suspect is handcuffed and lying prone on the ground with a cop sitting on his legs, game over. Suspect is in control and absolutely no danger to anyone . To go beyond that is, at a minimum, police brutality. To apply force to the neck, once the suspect is helpless, is cold-blooded murder.

American cops routinely beat people senseless and all to often kill them. Pray that you never run afoul of American cops. You can be killed even for a minor traffic violation.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 10:28 PM

He does not think that "less than lethal" force, such as pepper spray, or taser weapon, or even a night stick or 6 cops physically manhandling, needs to be used PRIOR to deadly force.

I say again. Once a suspect is handcuffed and lying prone on the ground with a cop sitting on his legs, game over. Suspect is in control and absolutely no danger to anyone . To go beyond that is, at a minimum, police brutality. To apply force to the neck, once the suspect is helpless, is cold-blooded murder.

American cops routinely beat people senseless and all to often kill them. Pray that you never run afoul of American cops. You can be killed even for a minor traffic violation.
I have been watching some documentaries ,where first time offenders were going through the system in America, those cops were tough...no messing with them,
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 10:43 PM

Now come on old fruit where did I EVER write that I think that the police have a right to kill anyone who is un-cooperative. ?

Or that I don't think that "less than lethal" force, such as pepper spray, or taser weapon, or even a night stick or 6 cops physically manhandling, needs to be used PRIOR to deadly force.

That's being more than let's just say "disingenuous" on your part isn't it.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Floyd's fault. If he had cooperated from #1 none of this would have happened.

Floyd's fault that he caused his own death ?
Words just fail me how you could be so callous and unfeeling about human life. Or, don't you think blacks are human ?

To everyone else. Imagine your son has had one too many at the pub and is now feeling alcohol brave and combative. The Bobbies arrive. Your son resists arrest by using his fists. Does he then deserve to be killed by the cops ? Or, worse yet. your child is horribly depressed and threatening to commit suicide. In America, if your child is combative, cops may use deadly force to subdue your child. Yes, even if your child is 13 years old.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

Or that I don't think that "less than lethal" force, such as pepper spray, or taser weapon, or even a night stick or 6 cops physically manhandling, needs to be used PRIOR to deadly force.
But a pencil could be??
bakerman
Mexico

09-03-2021, 01:02 AM

Across the nation, people in power are taking note and beginning to make, at least some changes. The number one issue is "qualified immunity" which historically has protected cops from criminal charges/brutality etc.
I, of course, am no attorney and I do not fully comprehend all of the ins and outs of this legal loophole. However, when "qualified immunity" is dramatically changed and cops are suddenly held accountable for their actions, up to and including civil lawsuits, which would allow the victims and/or families to sue for monetary damages, and cops begin to lose their homes/life savings/possessions etc we will see a dramatic drop in police brutality/killing etc.

Derek Chauvin, for example, had a history of 18 brutality complaints and 3 formal verbal warnings prior to his killing of George Floyd. And STILL he was a training officer. there is something terribly wrong with a system which would allow such a cop to remain on the force, much less be a training officer. When the higher ups can be sued and lose their homes, I firmly believe that they will cover their own arses.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

09-03-2021, 11:43 AM

Floyd's fault that he caused his own death ?
Words just fail me how you could be so callous and unfeeling about human life. Or, don't you think blacks are human ?

To everyone else. Imagine your son has had one too many at the pub and is now feeling alcohol brave and combative. The Bobbies arrive. Your son resists arrest by using his fists. Does he then deserve to be killed by the cops ? Or, worse yet. your child is horribly depressed and threatening to commit suicide. In America, if your child is combative, cops may use deadly force to subdue your child. Yes, even if your child is 13 years old.
Twisting again! If my kid died violently resisting arrest obviously I would be heartbroken but I would accept that he should not have resisted arrest. If he had been DELIBERATELY executed then obviously that would be different but there is no evidence that Floyd was deliberately killed. As for the nutter with the pencil, as I pointed out a sharpened wooden pencil is a potentially deadly weapon. The police on the scene decided lethal force was appropriate. In the absence of ALL the facts it would be wrong to blindly criticise what they did.

Your HIGHLY offensive remark regarding if I view blacks as being Untermensch is just that. Highly offensive.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

09-03-2021, 11:45 AM

Across the nation, people in power are taking note and beginning to make, at least some changes. The number one issue is "qualified immunity" which historically has protected cops from criminal charges/brutality etc.
I, of course, am no attorney and I do not fully comprehend all of the ins and outs of this legal loophole. However, when "qualified immunity" is dramatically changed and cops are suddenly held accountable for their actions, up to and including civil lawsuits, which would allow the victims and/or families to sue for monetary damages, and cops begin to lose their homes/life savings/possessions etc we will see a dramatic drop in police brutality/killing etc.

Derek Chauvin, for example, had a history of 18 brutality complaints and 3 formal verbal warnings prior to his killing of George Floyd. And STILL he was a training officer. there is something terribly wrong with a system which would allow such a cop to remain on the force, much less be a training officer. When the higher ups can be sued and lose their homes, I firmly believe that they will cover their own arses.
Yaaawn. Your prejudice against the police is showing.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2021, 12:05 PM

The fact that George Floyd was already cuffed and restrained on the ground added to Chauvin's previous form, complaints of violence, suggests very strongly that this was murder. Set your clock and count nine minutes, then imagine having someone's knee on your neck whilst you are restrained face down on the ground, for that length of time.
I don't understand how anyone can try to justify this, regardless of their prejudices.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top