Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 09:01 PM

Re: My house is small...

Will l downsize? No never! You never go backwards in life as it’s a downward spiral after that.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 09:31 PM

My parents and in-laws waited too long to renovate or sell their three-story homes so they could live on one level, and I don't want to find myself in the same boat.

We have talked about living aboard a sailboat or in an RV for a couple of years, but as for the brick and mortar places, our main house will be set up so that no matter how many bedrooms there are on other levels, we can fully live on one.

The more navigable the house and the less we have to do to maintain it, the longer we can live in it before our kids pitch us out .
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 09:35 PM

If I could drive, then I would certainly get a van and drive around, parking up wherever we wanted. Mr P could work freelance (if he chose to) and I'm sure I could get something online too. Or a houseboat..that would be good also. But we don't drive, and I think we would (or I would, to be blunt) get fed up with it after a while. I like having a proper roof over my head. So maybe a few years, then that would do us.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 09:53 PM

We finalised our retirement objectives in 1990 but had decided what we wanted to do in the late 1980's because I decided to retire in 2000 and so made career changes to enable me to do so. The move from Epping to Suffolk was straightforward once we'd found where we now live, but the bridging loan ---- don't ask!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
but, my world is big.

After my latest trip to the Kruger National Park, I’m leaning very much to a minimalist lifestyle and seriously considering a luxury caravan for retirement and moving from province to province after retirement to enjoy the outdoors. It’s wonderful sitting here in the afternoon sun drinking a gin and tonic. Incredibly peaceful and perfect.

What were your retirement goals versus your actual retirement experience?
Did you dream big and would you say that you had the retirement that you planned on or did you have to adapt your retirement plans?
To get a Bungalow for when the stairs get too much!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
If I could drive, then I would certainly get a van and drive around, parking up wherever we wanted. Mr P could work freelance (if he chose to) and I'm sure I could get something online too. Or a houseboat..that would be good also. But we don't drive, and I think we would (or I would, to be blunt) get fed up with it after a while. I like having a proper roof over my head. So maybe a few years, then that would do us.
What like the East European Scrap collectors?
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2021, 11:47 PM

We would like to move more out in the bush to keep ahead of the developers who are decimating our neighbourhood.BUT the BH's aged parents are determined to stay in their now unsuitable house which is close to us.He did build it so I can understand the attraction.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
We would like to move more out in the bush to keep ahead of the developers who are decimating our neighbourhood.BUT the BH's aged parents are determined to stay in their now unsuitable house which is close to us.He did build it so I can understand the attraction.
That move sounds appealing, Psmith.

I really feel for you when it comes to the development. We have people here who have not only been pushed out by the crush of new housing developments, but also taxed out because of soaring home values.

Your situation with your BH's parents sounds much like mine. It was hard to get them to leave a house built with their own hands.

I don't mind aging but the aging that forces you out of your home is the worst.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What like the East European Scrap collectors?
Oh now there's a thought.....! Maybe get a horse and cart and do it right!

Wouldn't last 5 mins in amongst that lot mind you. Wicked fierce bunch they are.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2021, 09:45 AM

I took retirement a tad early, at age 59. Since I always wanted to travel the world, I sold my house and all of my possessions and, emptied my bank accounts and set out on my travels. Spent several years in southeast Asia, including: The Philippines, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Japan, and Thailand. Itchy feet soon overtook me and I decided that I needed to do a serous tour of Egypt, a life-long dream. From Egypt onward to Costa Rica, and Mexico.

Having circumnavigated the globe, my plan was to live the remainder of my life in Italy. However, a heart attack and various other health issues caused me to end my international travels and settle in Mexico but near enough to the U.S. to take advantage of my U.S. health insurance.

I'm glad that I did my most of my traveling while I still had good health. Had I waited any longer, I never would have been able to fulfill my dreams.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top