Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 10:03 PM

Re: Bit annoyed

Not really, its still just nuts and bolts.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Not quite correct. What you are referring to is authorised repairs won't touch them. however there are so many other companies will carry out repairs ,I use a local company myself. Warranty by a manufacturer has a time limit so that is where getting insured pays. last time My insurers arranged for a repair which included collection and delivery. Also they kept me intouch with what was happening

This is the company i use and they are very good having been there a few times

http://www.camserve.co.uk/
Ah well it sounds as if you've got it sorted realspeed, good for you . If you can trust the supplier you're using and have a good repairer, then no problems. A friend of mine some years ago bought a Nikon DSLR from the far east, can't remember exactly where, and it was a complete dud on arrival. It had been battered (either before mailing or in transit) The supplier wouldn't answer any of his emails, so he took it in to a repair shop for a quote and the price for repair was around 75% of what he'd paid for it! I was always very wary after hearing that story
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 10:40 PM

Well if you think that's bad, I am still waiting for some kitchen cabinet doors to be delivered from Europe and they are blaming Brexit for the weeks and weeks of delay....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Ah well it sounds as if you've got it sorted realspeed, good for you . If you can trust the supplier you're using and have a good repairer, then no problems. A friend of mine some years ago bought a Nikon DSLR from the far east, can't remember exactly where, and it was a complete dud on arrival. It had been battered (either before mailing or in transit) The supplier wouldn't answer any of his emails, so he took it in to a repair shop for a quote and the price for repair was around 75% of what he'd paid for it! I was always very wary after hearing that story

A "grey import" is a new camera but not from an authorised dealer. My Nikon D810 is a grey import from Ireland and most grey imports are in the UK. companies like e-infin.com

What you are saying is that person did a personal import from overseas which is different,
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 11:09 PM

Grey? It's all very shady imo...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Grey? It's all very shady imo...
Nothing wrong with getting a grey import, at least with say a camera. Same camera obtained from a different source other than the original manufacturer.

to try and explain

My Nikon D800 was made in Japan and I purchased it from an authorised dealer who got it direct From Nikon and as such has to sell at Nikon set price . This is why all authorised dealers have to sell at the price set by Nikon, same with all other manufacturers. If they don't then they may not be able to get the product

My Nikon D810 ,the grey import, was obtained by an unauthorised Ireland dealer, from one being made in Thailand under licence.

Same quality standard set by Nikon so it can still have a Nikon label and Nikon serial number.

The difference is the grey import is not price regulated by Nikon, as Nikon are not actually sell it, so the importer can buy and sell on at a cheaper price. it is the same with camera lenses.

the only thing to be aware of is it may not have a warranty which is why it pays to insure it

Hope this explains the difference

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top