Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 09:18 PM

Re: Budget 2012

Just a thought and probably a bit provocative, but if folks think child benefit (family allowance) should be means tested shouldn't the o.a.p. be means tested as well?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I don't see it as a selfish statement Mags, especially these days when birth control is easily available. I quite simply do not think it is right or fair when people who have made a conscience decision on the size of their family, probably based on how many children they can afford to feed, clothe and educate, should then have to pay taxes to support people who have babies every year knowing full well they will be on benefits for the rest of their lives and won't ever have to worry about finding a job but will live better than those working and struggling to keep their heads above water.

I agree it would be better if mothers could stay home to bring up their children but unfortunately the majority simply can't afford to. I have one son, I stayed home with him until he started school then I worked round him as much as was possible. At the time I was lucky, my mother was still around to take care of him if I had to work. When he was 6 I became a single parent so I had to work full time and arrange for my son to be cared for after school and in school holiday. I say "had to", I guess I could have gone on benefits but that was not for me. I have never had one penny in benefits ever but I well remember another girl who lived near me, her mother lived next door to her. This girl had two young boys, she was always wanting to borrow from me, would I get her some shopping, she never paid me for it, would I lend her £10, I did that twice only, never got it back. When I asked her why she didn't look for a part time job as her mother lived next door, her reply was "why should I work, the money is put there for people like me" !

Yes of course children are the future, but what kind of future is the benefits culture going to bring?
I think there's been a misunderstanding here, I wasn't referring to women who have babies one after the other and therefore receiving multi benefits, I thought the inference was that Child benefit should be stopped altogether We struggled when we first had our family, moreso as I didn't know I was having twins until less than three weeks before they were born prematurely. Family allowance then was a saviour to us as we needed to go out and purchase a complete set of everything at the last minute. Except for having a mortgage to pay, we have never owed a penny to anyone and never had one penny in benefits other than Family Allowance.

Something needs to be done about the system whereby a family could receive Child Benefit for up to two children only ....... maybe that would stop these mothers procreating for the sake of what they can receive in handouts.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2012, 05:37 PM

quote..............Something needs to be done about the system whereby a family could receive Child Benefit for up to two children only ....... maybe that would stop these mothers procreating for the sake of what they can receive in handouts........unquote

Exactly what I meant Mags when I said there should be a cut off point.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2012, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
quote..............Something needs to be done about the system whereby a family could receive Child Benefit for up to two children only ....... maybe that would stop these mothers procreating for the sake of what they can receive in handouts........unquote

Exactly what I meant Mags when I said there should be a cut off point.
Cut it off completely. Make people pay for their kids or not have them simples
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Cut it off completely. Make people pay for their kids or not have them simples

Errrrmmmm What would you do about Mrs Windsor and her brood???
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2012, 10:56 AM

I have to shake my head a little at those who want a universal withdrawal of family allowance. Almost to a man you will have benefitted from it as a child, and also the milk allowance at school. Regardless of your parents income, you will still have been entitled to it. Now I wonder how many who think it should be done away with did not claim it for their own children.
I agree there should be a cut off point but there is still a lot of child poverty in this country and parents depend on it to feed and clothe their children, which is what it was intended for. As for, "If you can't afford 'em don't have 'em" I wonder how many of us would be here and in good health if it wasn't for child benefit.

This country has been in dire straights before but let's not take it out on the children, they are even more vulnerable than o.a.p's
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Sorry don't agree at all. If you want kids you should pay for them no-one else. If you want to buy a house or a car you either have the money or you get a loan. So maybe child benefit should be as a form of a loan which you have to pay back. No way should you get handouts just because you decide you must have children. It is totally unjust and unfair. The world is over populated and if there were no child benefit handouts it might make people think more about having them.
I agree with this. My parents had three of us, but we were brought up in the US and there was no child benefit or financial support offered. So we had to prioritise things, and some things were out of the question due to the cost. Nowadays everyone seems to think they are entitled to whatever they want without saving/planning for the cost.

I tend to think that deciding to have a child is purely a selfish decision initially, because you WANT one. I don't deny that subsequently bringing up a child is pretty selfless and hard work, but at least it (usually) brings some reward.

But, bearing in mind that our taxes already go towards maternity leave, schools, sure start etc etc., I don't think the taxpayers should have to pay you for giving birth.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2012, 07:44 AM

A reduction for additional rate tax payers of marginal pension tax relief from 50% to 45% with effect from 6 April 2013.
Basic state pension to rise by £5.30pw.
There will be a reform of the State Pension into a single tier pension for future pensioners. The new system will be set at a level above the means tested standard Guarantee Credit, and all State Pension records will be recognised.

Age-related personal allowances will be replaced with a single personal allowance for all. Under the current system, the personal allowance is £8,105 for 2012/13. This rises to £10,500 for people aged over 65, and to £10,660 for those aged over 75. From 6 April 2013 age related allowances remain static until they align with the personal allowance. From 6 April 2013, age related allowances will no longer be available, except to those born on or before 5 April 1948. The higher age related allowance will only be available to those born on or before 5 April 1938.

So you see Joe no-one has anything taken off them. What they never had they wont miss.
Why should someone have more pension money than someone who is younger than they are? We all face the same price increases, a loaf of bread costs the same whether you are 65 or 95.

I can only speak for myself but we came home I found my pension rise notification in the mail and it has gone up by £11/week amd my wifes has gone up by £5/week so where is this worse off bit you are talking about?

Oh! yes it is scaremongering from the nutters party.

As for the child benefits, IMO I think it should be stopped and people should pay for their own kids.

IF there must be a child benefit then why not make it a 3% of the national wage and paid only for the second child as it was when we first had kids, not the 5% for the first and 4% for everyone after that.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2012, 09:22 AM

Bob matey I un derstand why you want to put a 'happy' spin on it, but the truth is Cameron and his cronies have scammed the Pensioners to pay for the reduction in the higher rate tax. That is despicable and hopefully, the 'Grey voters' will not only remember this three years hence but punish the evil b**tards who initiated these plans.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2012, 09:45 AM

The pension rise we have received Bob is simply the the cost of living rise in line with inflatiion, so we are no better off at all. There can be no denial that abolishing the age related tax allowance will make a difference to o.a.p's. It doesn't look too bad at the moment merely because of the increase in cost of living rise. In real terms, I believe those on fixed incomes are actually getting worse off. Someone who is working often has the opportunity to make up shortfalls by doing more hours, not many of the the 75+ age group on fixed incomes have the opportunity to increase their income, so they economise and reduce or cut things out of their budget.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top