Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 12:34 PM

Re: Do you have 'free' time

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
I have to many things to do with my life to be bothered about the media and what they are sensationalising to make money.
Here, here

Since I started this thread I've seen two reports on the leggionairres outbreak in Scotland, and I am keeping an eye on the situation in Greece since that will effect me (and everybody) one way or the other.

That's it, all the stuff I haven't read, seen, or heard will still go on, I'm just not interested.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Re: Do you have 'free' time

Originally Posted by Fireisland ->
It had always been my game plan never to work ... by 'work' I mean all the god awful jobs that cannon fodder get to do between the wars like corporates, call centres, selling things nobody wants nor needs etc. Getting targets to meet, working long hours, forgoing holiday entitlement, starting earlier and staying later... I now write comedy...
You are very fortunate to have talent enough to be a success.

But when you are not looking for money it has a tendency to find you
How so? I think of myself as resourceful but at 58 I'm nearly at the end of my rope. Surviving day to day.

If you are bitten early in life by the protestant work ethic and the greedy bug for money
I was raised expecting to put in an honest day's work for my pay. Nothing greedy about wanting to make ends meet and provide for my children. Even when I made a decent salary we did not live extravagantly. My girls learned to be thrifty, we were never big 'shoppers' at the malls, Christmas was about dinner with family, gift-giving was kept simple and thoughtful.

your (sic) pretty much doomed to work forever
Not so! I fully expect to quit working at the moment of death and will be quite relieved to do so.

However, nobody wants to employ anyone over fifty and nobody gets this when their twenty-six they only get it when they're made redundant anytime from forty-five up to fifty-five.
Yes. I was 'down-sized' 3 times in 5 years, which is why I'm now self-employed and broke most of the time and have no hope of a pension. My savings went into the business start-up. Five years along and it's a constant struggle to line up work.

by deliberately NOT wanting to work EVER I actually did quite well; with property (a semi-detached and a bungalow in a good area) worth £375,000 and no mortgages, one we live in one we let out for a lovely sum, a six figure number in the bank and money coming in each month that we just can't spend because we simply don't buy into consumerism.
You have done well then, and I congratulate you. I certainly wish I'd had your talent and insight and managed my life differently. Thank you for your post - it's given me much to ponder and regret.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top