Join for free
Page 300 of 1676 « First < 200 250 290 298 299 300 301 302 310 350 400 800 1300 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 07:32 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I haven't got a mobile phone Pug, smart or otherwise, never had and I don't want one.

Could never take to the condensed milk meself Gummy.
Back in the 1950’s there was a milk strike over here, no the cows were not on strike, I’m thinking now of that song “Cows with Guns” , it was some dispute between the government and the dairy farmers, hundreds of thousands of gallons of milk were destroyed over the few months the strike lasted, no long lasting milk then. We as kids used to get a half pint bottle of fresh milk and a sandwich every day in school (a bun on Wednesdays), when we could no longer get the milk they started giving us what they called “powdered milk” Christ it was horrible, big white lumps in it, I can still imagine the chalky taste of the stuff on me tongue today.
Now there’s a thought, it would appear to my mind that the part of the brain that manages the tongue and the nose, and possibly the ears, seems to retain memory longer, tastes and smells of old seem to never fade away, sounds too, maybe the expert egg heads could take that on board and come up with something to improve memory loss in the other sections.
Of course the female tongue not only remembers everything but never forgets either and insists on telling you about it, hell hath no fury like the lash of the female tongue.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 09:33 PM

I'm aware you prefer to release your pigeon,Jem...it's SO very rustic,that you are,old mate. I have a 1992 phone I bought in Finland when driving a truck to/from,for Seawheel. It still,to this day,works perfectly. PLUS,it requires a charge once every 5/6 days. Admittedly,it either rings or is used to ring,with an occasional text for good show...but no camera,no telling me the rainfall in Singapore,no reading about the Kardashians [which is a name I've heard,but have NO idea what these people look like,OR why they're famous] plus no crappy satnav,etc,etc. BUT,due to a chap annoying me a while back,I also own [note I didn't say "Use like an expert''] an iPhone 7.
BUGGERED if I can see what all the fuss is,regarding iPhones of ANY number. My one is the uber-stacked,'got everything' version with 128gb memory....and,as per the little Nokia....sometimes it rings. Yes,I get non-stop ridicule from those muppet 'millennium moron' types,who can't survive without 'Game of Thrones' episodes thrice daily,plus a Play Station,plus a tablet,laptop AND synced mobile.....Sod THAT....I spent a week when I was nearly three learning to read,then spent another fortnight using that ability to learn all about physics,history,sociology and various types and variant sciences. So,SOD the phone. I get earache frequently from lesser mortals who bleat "I tried to ring you five times,this morning!" Really?...well after attempt #2,I'd have left a message and thought "He's not where his 'phone is - again!" and left it at that. After all,since the day I invented the stick,I've had no time for playing with telephones!!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 10:14 PM

Phones Et Al are nonsensical, they shield stuff that needs sorting, but not tomorrow perhaps.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 10:23 PM

Jem has been nattering a lot about bodily hair, I hope he has not taken a sabbatical, to get measured for a Merkin.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Phones Et Al are nonsensical, they shield stuff that needs sorting, but not tomorrow perhaps.
us oldies misunderstand the users of modern iphones and their functions - they have become a plethora of functions and activities for the modern young - they are not just for making calls and accepting calls but for using twitter accounts ; playing games ; checking bank accounts etc etc - for the modern young they are their star ship enterprise - for us old foggies iphones are an expensive and ill used item but for our grandchildren an essential communication tool for their everyday lives. Chill out lads!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

13-09-2017, 10:43 PM

One day your mobility piece, will save you from something, but, do you really want to be saved?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 11:19 PM

Well said Pug me lad, the mobile phone is my last bastion of resistance, my last stand, I have embraced all the other technical shit simply to keep the family off me back, but I refuse to have my whereabouts known to every dog in the street if and when they wish.
When we got our first radio set on the HP in the early 1950’s (1/6 a week) I was let turn the knob on or off but not to fiddle with the tuner, by the time we got a TV in !960 I was quite an expert at turning knobs on and off, and there endith my technical talents. Life was so simple back then, one turn of a knob and the device went on, turn the same knob back all the way and it went off, but alas no more knobs on anything anymore, all remote controlled now, bluetooth, wifi, and even a remote to find your lost remote, nobody wants to walk the shot distance to the TV to switch it off, lazy buggers we all are, and people are wondering why everyones gettin fat!

I understand all that Gummy and heaven forbid I wouldn’t begrudge the young their essentials in a modern world, I was just as happy as they are when I was young playing around with the knobs and switches, you had something solid to grasp onto with a knob, how the youngsters manage to type so quickly in such a tiny area is nothing short of genius, but it’s only natural for me to feel at home with the knobs I knew so well.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 11:42 PM

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed playing with your knob a lot when you were young Jem - that explains a lot!!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

13-09-2017, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
One day your mobility piece, will save you from something, but, do you really want to be saved?
don't worry I've already been saved ; I'm with the pentacostals and the christeldelphinians and the coptics and my wife is a devote katolica so we do it every saturday evening!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

14-09-2017, 07:25 AM

This is true, I had cause to go to the Bank yesterday, but first had to use the ATM machine on the outside wall. At first all was well, using the Choice buttons either side of the screen, towards the end of the transaction, I found myself touching the Text on the Screen, to no avail.

Page 300 of 1676 « First < 200 250 290 298 299 300 301 302 310 350 400 800 1300 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top