Join for free
Page 31 of 505 « First < 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 131 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 12:22 AM

Re: Chinese Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
The one in York, all it takes is for that person to sneeze or cough in the student accommodation and infect all those around them. Some of those in the student accommodation decide to drive to meet friends or family who live in another county, not knowing they've been infected because it takes a few weeks for the symptoms to show, according to medical experts (what I've read in the national tabloids).

As others have mentioned, over the years there have been many virus that have killed lots of people around the world, Spanish Flu, swine flu, bird flu BUT they've never been able to get a foothold in the UK even though people have been infected because of the UK's climate, it's not suitable for many viruses to survive. I have a suspicion that this latest virus will go the same way.
Hi

I have seen this posted elsewhere.

Unfortunately, it is wrong.

The weather in Wuhan is the same as here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wuha...hrome&ie=UTF-8
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 12:23 AM

The third victim was in Brighton so York must be 4
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 12:52 AM

No news anywhere about a student in York other than the one taken to Newcastle the other day .
I don’t believe any reports without a link to them Annie .
This is the latest update tonight ,that the third case is the person taken from Brighton to a London hospital today who had been in Singapore

Now this l 30 minutes ago
An investigation at Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry, Northern Ireland, is under way tonight over a suspected case of coronavirus involving a mother and baby. It is understood that the mother and child recently returned to the city from Hong Kong and reported to Derry’s main hospital A&E department earlier today. Northern Ireland’s Public Health Agency said they “are not commenting on individual cases at the moment”. A spokesperson for the PHA said no cases had yet been diagnosed in Northern Ireland.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have seen this posted elsewhere.

Unfortunately, it is wrong.

The weather in Wuhan is the same as here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wuha...hrome&ie=UTF-8
I am told it was warm weather that killed off Sars. So they expect it will die out in Spring
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-02-2020, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
No news anywhere about a student in York other than the one taken to Newcastle the other day .
I don’t believe any reports without a link to them Annie .
This is the latest update tonight ,that the third case is the person taken from Brighton to a London hospital today who had been in Singapore

Now this l 30 minutes ago
An investigation at Altnagelvin Hospital in Derry, Northern Ireland, is under way tonight over a suspected case of coronavirus involving a mother and baby. It is understood that the mother and child recently returned to the city from Hong Kong and reported to Derry’s main hospital A&E department earlier today. Northern Ireland’s Public Health Agency said they “are not commenting on individual cases at the moment”. A spokesperson for the PHA said no cases had yet been diagnosed in Northern Ireland.
I guess these things are not made public until they have tested the patient as quite often they find it's flu or a cold. But sometimes I learn about things on here before they are on the news.

Someone I know mentioned that they'd read a report about a patient who had escaped from the secure quarantine facility and was being hunted by police. This was on Tuesday and I've seen nothing in the news.

It must be very frightening for the people who were brought over on the plane. I hope they have some psychological support.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I am told it was warm weather that killed off Sars. So they expect it will die out in Spring
Hi

It is a Coronovirus, same as colds, flu, SARS etc.

These are more prevalent when the weather is cold and humid.

Simple Public Health fact.

This is why you are advised to have your flu jabs in the Autumn.

No Coronovirus is ever killed off, they reappear, like Flu, every year.

Everybody has more Colds in Winter than they do in Summer.

They are simply dormant and mutating.

Some Mutate more than others.

Some mutate so as to be less infectious, some mutate to be more infectious.

It is a constant battle to develop, every year, a vaccination against them.

You worry about a Police State.

SARS was years ago.

Contact Tracing was a nightmare.

Much easier now, grab their mobiles, we know where they have been and who they have been in contact with.

We can track contacts, at the minute I am really not too concerned here in the UK.

The risk is minute, it really is.

The problem is that there is evidence that it is mutating rapidly

That is something we need to keep an eye on.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 05:16 AM

Dr. Li, the physician who blew the 1st warning alarm in China has died from the coronavirus. 14 other health care workers at his medical facility have been tested positive.
Thus far, 556 are reported dead in China.
One Singapore citizen, who had never been to China, has also died. Obviously, that was a case of person to person transmission.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-02-2020, 06:10 AM

Hi

It is a Coronovirus, same as colds, flu, SARS etc.

These are more prevalent when the weather is cold and humid.

Simple Public Health fact.

This is why you are advised to have your flu jabs in the Autumn.

No Coronovirus is ever killed off, they reappear, like Flu, every year.

Everybody has more Colds in Winter than they do in Summer.

They are simply dormant and mutating.

Some Mutate more than others.

Some mutate so as to be less infectious, some mutate to be more infectious.

It is a constant battle to develop, every year, a vaccination against them.

You worry about a Police State.

SARS was years ago.

Contact Tracing was a nightmare.

Much easier now, grab their mobiles, we know where they have been and who they have been in contact with.

We can track contacts, at the minute I am really not too concerned here in the UK.

The risk is minute, it really is.

The problem is that there is evidence that it is mutating rapidly

That is something we need to keep an eye on.
I worry about our crumbling infrastructure. Years of cuts have put us at great disadvantage. You may be able to trace contacts by analysing phone data, but if there is fragmentation of agencies at the coalface then nothing is done effectively. You need due diligence all the way down the line.

Although we didn't have such systems in the past the infrastructure was strong enough to manage the risk. Now everything is outsourced.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

07-02-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I worry about our crumbling infrastructure. Years of cuts have put us at great disadvantage. You may be able to trace contacts by analysing phone data, but if there is fragmentation of agencies at the coalface then nothing is done effectively. You need due diligence all the way down the line.

Although we didn't have such systems in the past the infrastructure was strong enough to manage the risk. Now everything is outsourced.

Hi

That is not the issue, the issue is that after 10 years of cuts the system has been dismantled.

Nobody new has been trained to replace those given early retirement to save money.

Public Health was no longer funded by Central Government, it was farmed out to Local Authorities and the Budgets savaged.

We still have enough to do the Contact Tracing, we do not have enough to deal with them.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-02-2020, 10:46 AM

Hi

That is not the issue, the issue is that after 10 years of cuts the system has been dismantled.

Nobody new has been trained to replace those given early retirement to save money.

Public Health was no longer funded by Central Government, it was farmed out to Local Authorities and the Budgets savaged.

We still have enough to do the Contact Tracing, we do not have enough to deal with them.

The system does seem to be decimated and it does feel as though across the board be it police the NHS or local authorities, it's all stretched and many have left with the rest really fed up as they cannot cope. So who do they pass the baton to?

Page 31 of 505 « First < 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 131 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top