Join for free
Page 319 of 1676 « First < 219 269 309 317 318 319 320 321 329 369 419 819 1319 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 09:29 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I will continue with Uncle Bobbie [ohh pugs would have loved these old stories of days gone bye - I do hope he hasn't gone bye bye for ever said gumbud bear!]

uncle bobby as I mentioned could fix everything and do anything - one of those sort of confident guys, if we had stuck an American accent on him he would have made the music halls [ anyone wanna by some nylons?]

well as the story goes his new father-in-law was a builder and often had to climb scaffolds. One day he slipped and fell crashing to the ground and was able somehow [now remember this was in the early 40's] to claim negligence by the company for no having enough safety features [can you imagine that] he got a lump pay out plus the lumps on the back of his head and never worked again.

however the family probably led by uncle bobbie decided they had an entrepreneurial streak in them and decided to become shop keepers both stationary and mobile - phew that took a lot of typing more next time!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:08 PM

Yeah, but Pepys had only tangible stuff to worry about, like TB, not AI.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 10:51 PM

I agree with you there RJ, sure if it wasn't for Thomas my valet, the old family Manor, the shooting, the hunting and the fishing I would have emigrated years ago, the taxes are astronomical and the peasants have taken over the Village.
Your writing is still as fresh and unique as it always was, who cares about punctuation anyway, it's the content wot matters. i can't get the spell checker to work on this thing but as long as yis know what I mean I don't mind.

A lot of fellas in the building game were 'on the lump' back in the 60's Gummy, plenty of dosh to be made.

I was once asked by my school teacher 'If one boy had a boil on his neck and another two on his back, his brother had one on his shoulder and another on his arm, how many boils would they have altogether?'
'Is that what they call a lump sum Miss?'
Uncles springing up all over the place now, better keep the one about me great Uncle Davy and the cannibals for a slow day, or better still and in the interests of equality, how about introducing my great Aunt Fanny, now there was a woman for yeh, big as a bear and strong as an Ox, tatooed all over, even had a miniature of old nick himself tatooed on her tongue, you didn't mess with her I can tell ya.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 01:14 AM

oh dear said gummy bear I'm getting worried now - it's gettin dark in the woods and pugs used to march ahead or ride ahead with his big steam roller and we all felt safe! Jem can you go and look for him again??
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 07:44 AM

Does that mean, if we stop talkin the Talk, we'll have to start walkin the walk (again)?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

15-10-2017, 07:59 AM

Say Chaps, would anyone mind throwing my Dummy, back into the Pram.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 10:08 AM

DUMMY CHUCKER

Dummy-chucking is a fraud in which a mannequin (or dummy) is placed on a roadway on a dark night. If a vehicle runs over the dummy then the confidence man runs onto the road, throws (chucks) the dummy out of sight and then lays down in its place and pretends to have painful injuries. If the driver stops to see what happened then the dummy-chucker begs for monetary compensation

Is that soothing to know?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

15-10-2017, 12:58 PM

never happened to me in my life - n0w where was I ? ah yes my uncle bobbie and the birth of the entrepreneurial flare that Uncle Bobby used to take a short trip into shop keeping. I never did really find out if it was successful or not but it seemed to last a few mths maybe longer and then disappeared. it was never discussed with us kids thats for sure.

well they must have had a stash of money but I never seen any come our way we just watched them spend it they decided to buy two old corner shops one a green grocers and one general bits and peices. the greengrocers seem too be doing well but not the bits and pieces - surely everyone needs bits and pieces but it always seemed to be empty when Ma and I called in. I don't think they had done their market research properly, the shops where on the corner of a main street in Liverpool with plenty of cars going buy but not much foot traffic if you get what I mean but they were certainly never going to be millionaires.

tell ya the rest tomorrow!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 09:30 PM

Yes you would think everyone needs bits and pieces of this and that Gummy. we used to have a shop in our area called 'The Needle and Anchor' sold everything from fishing hooks to brass fenders, folks came from far and wide to get theit various bits, sadly the old chap who owned it died and the place is now a hairdressers.

I love the way the French talk when they speak English, there was a French chap speaking in an old film the other day ( I usually have either the radio or the small TV on while I’m working) and he was saying he was a lawyer and he once had to defend a client at the ‘Hole Belly’ (Old Bailey), now I’m no newsreader with the words meself, I don’t know why but I just burst out laughing, it was a serious film and it sounded so funny.
I know some are leg men others bum men and more are breast men, as you well know I’m a left elbow man meself, but he must have been a navel man with belly holes on his mind, a new one on me I might add, I think navels are ugly looking things, anyway there was I laughing to meself, easily amused ain’t I.
I once had a job come in, it was to clean and polish a ruby navel stud for a belly dancer, you’d want to see the muck that came out from behind the stone, I've cleaned some very dirty engagement rings in my day, some women never take them off, the dirt lodges in the collets where the stones are set and has to be carefully eased out bit by bit with a very fine steel pointer, then you have to check the setting to see the stones are not loose, sometimes the claws or grains that hold the stones in are so worn down that it's only the dirt at the back that holds the stones in place, if you have an expensive engagement ring, or one you are very senimental about, you should have it checked out at least every two years to avoid the risk of losing the stone/stones. Pendants, Brooches, etc., don't get as much wear so they are usually OK.
Thank God I was out of it before nose rings became popular, some folks wear rings in the most unlikely places nowadays.

There was an old jeweller called Eddie
Who would fix anything whenever he was ready
In walked Suzi Tipple, who wanted a pearl set in her nipple
'Alright says he, I'll do it', and he tried to keep his hand steady.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

15-10-2017, 10:33 PM

thought he might want to put it in his mouth to warm it up?

Page 319 of 1676 « First < 219 269 309 317 318 319 320 321 329 369 419 819 1319 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top