Join for free
Page 33 of 42 « First < 23 31 32 33 34 35 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 02:53 PM

Re: Churchill NZ under lockdown!

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes all true of course. I just find it a bit off to stop people wearing what they want in what is a fairly tolerant country. Will we lose more than we gain by doing that ?
I guess I don't understand what they gain from dressing in a way that attracts such negative attention. If there is to be separation from what people see as a threat and what they see as being part of their own group, then compromises on clothing would be a major step in the acceptance of Muslims as part of British culture.

I am all for people wearing what they want, as I've said in the past. But if people are being targeted as being part of the bad guys who have been cutting off heads and laying bombs then you'd think the easiest way to separate yourself would be by dressing as per the western group you want to be part of.

All I know is that when I was growing up and in the 80s it was rare to see Hijabs. I had a Muslim and a Jewish friend at college when doing A levels. The Muslim friend wore western clothes. She was not allowed to wear skirts (by her father) but she used to wear jeans and tops that fitted in with her parents' wishes but also fit into the norms of a teenager. She did not cover her hair. There was no animosity between us based on religious differences. The politics had not started yet.

Sometime in the 90s Muslim women started wearing hijabs. Now they are commonplace. What I'd like to understand is why my Muslim friend did not have to wear one to prove she is a Muslim. Her parents had originally been from India. Why would there be a different rule there? In the 90s I also house shared with a Muslim lady whose family was from Pakistan. She did not wear a Hijab and wore jeans and jumpers that showed off her figure without being in any way vulgar. She was very attractive and became really upset when other Muslims insulted her and told her to cover up. I have also worked with Muslim colleagues who do not wear a Hijab and wear lots of make up. Again they have Indian origins. So why the different cultural approaches to Islamic dress? Is this really a religious issue or one of culture?
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 02:57 PM

Surely the problem we need to address is the fundamentalist in religion including muslim, christian and jewish. Plus the problems caused by left and right wing extremists.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes, I'm sure you know all about that uniform !!!
Yes, but nowhere near as much as members of my family did.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Surely the problem we need to address is the fundamentalist in religion including muslim, christian and jewish. Plus the problems caused by left and right wing extremists.
Not in the case of Islam

Islam IS the problem.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Yes, but nowhere near as much as members of my family did.

Members ???
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 04:22 PM

This is a interesting article .

So many people were blamed for this massacre who had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

https://www.melaniephillips.com/afte...ellian-frenzy/
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

22-03-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Members ???
Yes members. Two grand uncles and several cousins that I know about.

If my parents hadn't got out of Germany on time the probability is that I wouldn't be here today.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Absolutely but so one seems to have an appetite to do that these days, media thrives on the conflict too much.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I guess I don't understand what they gain from dressing in a way that attracts such negative attention. If there is to be separation from what people see as a threat and what they see as being part of their own group, then compromises on clothing would be a major step in the acceptance of Muslims as part of British culture.

I am all for people wearing what they want, as I've said in the past. But if people are being targeted as being part of the bad guys who have been cutting off heads and laying bombs then you'd think the easiest way to separate yourself would be by dressing as per the western group you want to be part of.

All I know is that when I was growing up and in the 80s it was rare to see Hijabs. I had a Muslim and a Jewish friend at college when doing A levels. The Muslim friend wore western clothes. She was not allowed to wear skirts (by her father) but she used to wear jeans and tops that fitted in with her parents' wishes but also fit into the norms of a teenager. She did not cover her hair. There was no animosity between us based on religious differences. The politics had not started yet.

Sometime in the 90s Muslim women started wearing hijabs. Now they are commonplace. What I'd like to understand is why my Muslim friend did not have to wear one to prove she is a Muslim. Her parents had originally been from India. Why would there be a different rule there? In the 90s I also house shared with a Muslim lady whose family was from Pakistan. She did not wear a Hijab and wore jeans and jumpers that showed off her figure without being in any way vulgar. She was very attractive and became really upset when other Muslims insulted her and told her to cover up. I have also worked with Muslim colleagues who do not wear a Hijab and wear lots of make up. Again they have Indian origins. So why the different cultural approaches to Islamic dress? Is this really a religious issue or one of culture?
Couldn't agree more to be honest I do wonder as our western fashions became more decadent and revealing did they see it as a way to rebel against that ? I don't have the answer just more and more questions.

I dress modestly these days myself I used to be a bit of if you've got it flaunt it girl but found myself more and more covering up as those around me seemed to go to more and more extremes in their revealing clothing. I wanted to be different I guess and covering up made me that way. It's funny now I am occasionally mistaken for a muslim as I am modestly dressed so I get why some are scared. I refuse to uncover though just to make them leave me alone.

Perhaps that's the answer we are just too stubborn to change to please others
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

22-03-2019, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Absolutely but so one seems to have an appetite to do that these days, media thrives on the conflict too much.
if the conflict / incompatibility / confrontation was not (increasingly) there the MSM would have zilch to thrive on.

Page 33 of 42 « First < 23 31 32 33 34 35 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top