Join for free
Page 35 of 46 « First < 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2016, 12:22 AM

Re: Faith Schools: Time to scrap them?

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The "right path"?

What might that be?
The path of righteousness whatever religion or not that is followed.

Doing the right thing .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2016, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I must say all we got was a sixpence too.

Showing our age perhaps, JBR!
I remember one occasion when my dad obviously didn't have any sixpences, so put a shilling under my pillow. By this time I had worked out that there was no tooth fairy....... so I just said nothing ( They always had shillings because they were needed for the gas meter )
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I remember one occasion when my dad obviously didn't have any sixpences, so put a shilling under my pillow. By this time I had worked out that there was no tooth fairy....... so I just said nothing ( They always had shillings because they were needed for the gas meter )
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2016, 03:25 PM

Comparing short-term once-a-year stuff about Santa, or even the occasional 'tooth fairy' ...

can hardly be compared with serious, deliberate, daily lies
(from the age of four or five - right through to teen years)
about creation and miracles and sex and sin and hell rammed down childrens' throats -
with all the subsequent guilt and fear and confusion and stress which those untruths so often generate.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2016, 04:44 PM

Agreed Pummy.

A lot of the posts are deflecting from the topic in hand. Few seem willing to really discuss the core issue of whether it is right or wrong to indoctrinate young children. It's quite likely imo that many HAVE indoctrinated their kids already and understandably aren't wanting to open those actions up for debate.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Comparing short-term once-a-year stuff about Santa, or even the occasional 'tooth fairy' ...

about creation and miracles and sex and sin and hell rammed down childrens' throats -
with all the subsequent guilt and fear and confusion and stress which those untruths so often generate.
I can't speak for all schools but that isn't what happens at the one Grace attends at all. They learn about all religions and once a day have a prayer and song in assembly of a religious nature. If you listen hard you hear the little darlings have their own words to the hymns not quite in the religious way we hope
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2016, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
once a day have a prayer and song in assembly of a religious nature.
And who are those prayers to exactly?

Allah? Vishnu? Buddha?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2016, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Agreed Pummy.

A lot of the posts are deflecting from the topic in hand. Few seem willing to really discuss the core issue of whether it is right or wrong to indoctrinate young children. It's quite likely imo that many HAVE indoctrinated their kids already and understandably aren't wanting to open those actions up for debate.
You pair are losing me ...
It's one thing to say religion, any religion, is something a kid should be able to make their own minds up about to what you seem to be claiming.

Child abuse? Indoctrination? Guilt? Fear? Stress? Daily lies? Sex and sin and ramming hell down children's throats?
All this from going to Sunday School or sharing Bible reading classes with mum and dad?

I feel like I'm watching the film ..Carrie.
Though granted.. if a little kid sees dad wearing a suicide vest before he goes off to engage in Holy War, that would be justifiable cause for concern.

Before condemning any religious parent for indoctrinating their kids into something you both clearly personally despise it might be wise to bear in mind that every parent provides the role model that a child will believe is the norm, at least until they mature enough to make up their own mind. Thus .. the overweight parent gives the impression that overweightness is okay .. a gay parent, or same sex couple will project their unique life view .. an overly strict parent conveys the message that harsh discipline is the answer .. a conspiracy theorist might foster scepticism, cynicism and lack of trust in the world at large ... a cat hater might imbue a lowered respect or care for animals in general.

By the way, I'm not religious .. but for those who chose to be I see no problem. I don't think you can define them as a parent based solely on that.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

11-10-2016, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Thus .. the overweight parent gives the impression that overweightness is okay .. a gay parent, or same sex couple will project their unique life view .. an overly strict parent conveys the message that harsh discipline is the answer .. a conspiracy theorist might foster scepticism, cynicism and lack of trust in the world at large ... a cat hater might imbue a lowered respect or care for animals in general.
I'm totally with you here Morty. And I have seen numerous time, fat parents who haven't educated themselves about food and who haven't addressed their eating habits, bring up their kids in similar fashion which is imo total child abuse.
Kids don't tend to have money so they don't do the food shopping at the supermarket. Fat parents I have seen fill their kitchen cupboards with fizzy pop, bags of crisps and other crappy foods. The kids when they get hungry eat what's there. It is shocking. My niece was made fat from an early age and remains fat now at age 18. She will have years of struggle and all the associated stigma and lack of confidence before she manages to lose all that weight and restore health. Kids should not be put into that situation.

The same goes for religion though. Indoctrination into a belief system at a young age is just as wrong as making a child fat and unhealthy. It should not be allowed imo.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2016, 06:47 PM

Whilst I'm glad we've got some common ground ... if abuse is so rife, does the perfect parent who is not abusing their kid actually exist?

Page 35 of 46 « First < 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top