Join for free
Page 360 of 1676 « First < 260 310 350 358 359 360 361 362 370 410 460 860 1360 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 01:09 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->
Why thank you dearheart. I try to keep the other old wrinkies in leisurely scribbles grey matter from rotting
..... and you are doing a good job at it too, Robert
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 01:10 PM

As for the weight of a Ship, that's One Hull of a question.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Number three is easy, you fill the Fishbowl with water, then decant it into a measuring jug, and take the reading off the side, then if you want, make a note of that reading and empty the jug, you can then half fill the Fishbowl, add a Goldfish, then fill the bowl again, the remove the fish into another receptacle that has water in, pour the content of the Fishbowl back into the measuring jug, and minus this figure off the first figure, thus you will have the Liquid volume of the fish, which can be converted to cubic millimetres if desired.
Spittie, when did you change your name to Pug?

Just asking....thank you anyway.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Just sayin, most math problems can be solved with a well stocked kitchen utensil cupboard.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 01:23 PM

Overheard conversation
"Is there any PORT left, we have a star on board"
"Right you are"
Robert Jnr.
UK

22-11-2017, 01:33 PM

Just sayin, most math problems can be solved with a well stocked kitchen utensil cupboard.
no help if you have a mind like a sieve, like me
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 03:17 PM

Number three is easy, you fill the Fishbowl with water, then decant it into a measuring jug, and take the reading off the side, then if you want, make a note of that reading and empty the jug, you can then half fill the Fishbowl, add a Goldfish, then fill the bowl again, the remove the fish into another receptacle that has water in, pour the content of the Fishbowl back into the measuring jug, and minus this figure off the first figure, thus you will have the Liquid volume of the fish, which can be converted to cubic millimetres if desired.
oi oi spittie hold ya orses - where on earth did robert say there was a fish in the bowl ?? = catch question there spittie lad - back to ya concrete saw and ya patio!!
Robert Jnr.
UK

22-11-2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
oi oi spittie hold ya orses - where on earth did robert say there was a fish in the bowl ?? = catch question there spittie lad - back to ya concrete saw and ya patio!!

Ναι, τι χρυσόψαρο
Nai, ti chrysópsaro

(that's greek for "yea, what goldfish?")
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
oops now you've started it - we'll be a flush with tonnage and plimsoll lines and displacement factors - duck!
My plimsoll line has been expanding for several years now.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->
I have 2 questions for our Pug

ONE
SHIPS TONNAGE (ie WEIGHT OF SHIP)
Thus, Oasis of the Seas at 220,000 gross tons is considered a bigger cruise ship than Navigator of the Seas at 137,000 gross tons. Because the word “tons” is used in connection with this measurement, people often think that the gross tonnage is the weight of the ship.

WTF are they talking about, surely the weight is the weight.

TWO
I have forgotten the 2nd question, I'll post it later
I thought the mass quoted is the mass of water displaced by the boat, not its actual mass.

So, you take a lump of steel weighing 1 tonne, and drop it in water. It will sink.

If you take the same lump of steel and roll it and beat it until it is boat shaped and drop it in water, it should float, displacing a mass of water.

If you change the shape of the lump of the steel, it still weighs 1 tonne, will still float, but will sit higher or lower in the water depending on it's shape.
The mass of water displaced will therefore be different, even though the "weight" of the ship is still 1 tonne.

I'm guessing there is a standard density of water when quoting tonnage since the amount displaced will vary with temperature and mineral (salt) content.
This is also why there is more than one Plimsoll Line on a ship. Loading a ship in cold dense sea water could cause it to sink in less dense warm tropical fresh water because the vessel becomes less buoyant.

Measuring the displacement of a ship could be done using the same goldfish bowl method already explained.
Put the boat in a dock full of water, and measure the volume of how much spills out. Knowing the water density then allows the volume to be converted to mass.

As a retired aerospace enginerd, I can conform that everything I have said is pure guesswork.

Page 360 of 1676 « First < 260 310 350 358 359 360 361 362 370 410 460 860 1360 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top