Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 06:47 PM

Re: Could you give up alcoholic drinks?

As someone, who in Aberdeen speak, "Takes a bucket", I don't think that I will be embracing a non alcoholic lifestyle, anytime soon!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
As someone, who in Aberdeen speak, "Takes a bucket", I don't think that I will be embracing a non alcoholic lifestyle, anytime soon!
Good man, John I'm not familiar with the term "Take the bucket" though...maybe "drinking it" would be more apt sometimes!
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 07:35 PM

I will be 82 in a few weeks and have been drinking whisky moderately for most of my adult life. I am particularly fond of Islay malts. I think 2 or 3 small whiskies would be far less damaging to your health than 2 or 3 mugs of coffee.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 07:38 PM

I have About 5 pints of lager a year
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I have About 5 pints of lager a year
I think you have a problem....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
I enjoy a glass of wine at times, and other times a cold glass of beer. No hard alcohol, I can't get it past my nose before it gets to my lips.

Could I give it up? Of course. I can make an utter fool of myself while completely sober.

However, there are a few who say, "Give that girl a glass of something, would ya?"
Same here Right Now.....Just the smell of Whisky, Gin, Brandy, Rum and Vodka etc makes me gip long before they get anywhere near my lips, with the only exception being Jack Daniels....

However, a nice red wine with a meal is ideal, and only just tonight I had a half of John Smiths Extra Smooth with a meal down at the pub....I had forgot how tasty John Smiths was, it's been so long....

I'm always the driver though so no drinking while out in the car....
Could I give it up?
Easy peasy!.......
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Same here Right Now.....Just the smell of Whisky, Gin, Brandy, Rum and Vodka etc makes me gip long before they get anywhere near my lips, with the only exception being Jack Daniels....

However, a nice red wine with a meal is ideal, and only just tonight I had a half of John Smiths Extra Smooth with a meal down at the pub....I had forgot how tasty John Smiths was, it's been so long....

I'm always the driver though so no drinking while out in the car....
Could I give it up?
Easy peasy!.......
So there are two of us then??
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 10:19 PM

Some folks have a beer, some folks have a Blister Pack, some folks have both.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 10:24 PM

Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I would never give up alcohol as I have a social life and a very close knit set of long-standing friends. Our meet ups take place at the weekend, usually on a Saturday afternoon and it's an essential part of the winding down process after working all week. We catch up with one another's happenings and enjoy a few pints of real ale. Nothing wrong with that.

On a Friday evening my wife and myself enjoy a meal and two or three pints at a local pub or restaurant. If we don't go out, my Friday evening is spent putting on a DVD and having 2-3 bottles of good quality ale and a nice oven-cooked meal.

I don't drink to excess and I am always in control of knowing what I'm doing, where I am and who I am lol. I'm very fit for my age and drinking doesn't have any effect on my health whatsoever. Those who smoke and watch endless TV are far more likely to succumb to lifestyle diseases.

A social life with wonderful friends is extremely important, especially for those who still work, otherwise what am I to do with my time...spend endless hours getting unfit and fat by sitting around playing computer games or tapping away on social media all day long? I don't think so.

At last an honest answer. I could give up but why would I want to, I might live a little bit longer but it would feel like much longer but just tedious.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top