Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 03:17 AM

Re: How Many Televisions Do You Have?

Personally I have only three TVs in the house, one in the spare bedroom which is used about once or twice a year if it is lucky, one in my bedroom which is watched a fair bit and one in the lounge which is watched if and when I have visitors.

There is also a small 19" one in my camper for when I am travelling with it.

Why have TVs suddenly started to be measured in inches? when they were CRTs they were measured in cms but since the flat screen LED/plasma TVs arrived on the scene they are suddenly measured in a unit that no one understands (unless they are my age).
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 06:48 AM

Bruce, you don't understand inches?

They're friendly little things, you collect around 12 of them together and they get in a long line and they love that, they straighten up to make a Foot!

And then three of the feet get together and stand in a line and like to call themselves a Yard!

It's great fun...much better than boring old cms and mms
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 09:02 AM

No television at all - just a 24" monitor an about 1500 DVDs - does that count, Artangel ?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 09:41 AM

Do they still measure the screen diagonally?
How did thaT HAPPEN?
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Do they still measure the screen diagonally?
How did thaT HAPPEN?
Yes they do. It's a way of conning you by letting you believe that it is a bigger screen.
That is the longest measurement of the screen.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 10:00 AM

I have one and that's more than enough. I think it is connected to my toilet because all you see is 5hit.
Reminds me of the first set my father bought. B/W and two channels. I was even watching the ads in those days.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Why on earth do you have a telly in your hallway Jazzi?? Im confused!!!
Because it faces the bathroom!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 11:28 AM

A medium one in the lounge and a small one in the bedroom which is hardly ever used.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 12:00 PM

Screen sizes in the UK always have been referred to in inches. I believe the measurement was diagonal because early screens were round. In fact, screens still had very rounded corners when I first became a TV engineer apprentice. The part that could make them look somewhat squarer in the corners was the mask that surrounded the tube. Part of the screen's overall surface could be hidden behind that. Some CRTs were more square in the corners than others though.

Over the years, CRT corners became squarer but the diagonal measurement is just something that stuck. Most people in the land know the measurement is diagonal and so manufacturers would probably see no sales advantage by giving the diagonal measurement.

There are a few pages to be found on the Internet about why the measurement is diagonal. Try a search for: why are tv screens measured diagonally?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Screen sizes in the UK always have been referred to in inches.

There are a few pages to be found on the Internet about why the measurement is diagonal. Try a search for: why are tv screens measured diagonally?
I agree. I don't remember TV screens ever being measured in cm. Perhaps in Australia they do things differently.

Well, yes they do, don't they? They drink that tasteless fizzy water lager thing, don't they?

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top