Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2015, 09:20 PM

Re: Sign Language

Years ago I worked with many deaf and dumb people some could lip read but most signed. Sometimes it was like secret service when they made a circle to discuss something or sort a disagreement out and believe you me it was the hearing who were on the outside not understanding the fast and furious signing. They were also the first ones to know any gossip or secrets as they lip read the hearing....so to have a private conversation the hearing had to put their hand over their mouths if they didn't want the world and his dog to know their business. I did manage to learn a few signs to get by. I also have a couple of friends who are deaf so know I have to look them in the face and never turn away when speaking to them so they don't miss any words. I do know a few naughty signs too.

Yes I do think it a good thing to teach signing at schools.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
Years ago I worked with many deaf and dumb people some could lip read but most signed. Sometimes it was like secret service when they made a circle to discuss something or sort a disagreement out and believe you me it was the hearing who were on the outside not understanding the fast and furious signing. They were also the first ones to know any gossip or secrets as they lip read the hearing....so to have a private conversation the hearing had to put their hand over their mouths if they didn't want the world and his dog to know their business. I did manage to learn a few signs to get by. I also have a couple of friends who are deaf so know I have to look them in the face and never turn away when speaking to them so they don't miss any words. I do know a few naughty signs too.

Yes I do think it a good thing to teach signing at schools.
Your post gave me a giggle - never thought of that - still the hearing lot are no better
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2015, 07:45 PM

Heard via a quiz question that signing is an official language in New Zealand !

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top