Join for free
Page 4 of 33 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 10:23 PM

Re: Margret Thatcher

I wish no one any ill will but for that woman Thatcher I make an exception.

I came to the UK in 1988 and the experience made me wish for the halcyon days of the three day week, it was a drab, disillusioned, dispirited country.

She ruined British society and set it on course to the tragedy that is Britain today, she promoted smaller government but actually increased the centralisation of government power.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 10:53 PM

Bruce, had you lived here through the days of unrest and confrontation you may feel different.
I for one welcomed her attack on unions who only want to have control of the country and their names in the headlines.
I admire anyone who has principals and sticks to them through thick and thin.
I used to think Labour was the Bess knees but now I would gladly see the party disolved.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 10:57 PM

The Thatcher years were probably the last era where there was Clearwater between the political parties, I mourn the passing of this epoch, not any individual who was a player in this event.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Bruce, had you lived here through the days of unrest and confrontation you may feel different.
I for one welcomed her attack on unions who only want to have control of the country and their names in the headlines.
I admire anyone who has principals and sticks to them through thick and thin.
I used to think Labour was the Bess knees but now I would gladly see the party disolved.
It may have already imploded.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 03:50 AM

It all depends on where you come from I suppose. My grandfather was a Yorkshire coal miner who lost his job and his whole way of life because of Maggie. I saw Yorkshire go drastically downhill and lose much of its character and culture as a result of her policies. And my cousin was a mounted policeman who had to ride amongst her hired mercenaries (in police uniform but with no number on their shoulders) against his own grandfather and family.

Yes, she was strong and principled but she also did a lot of harm to the north of England. I guess some people believe the means justify the ends but that's only if you weren't one of the people affected through no fault of your own.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

09-04-2013, 07:39 AM

The death of any other being is a sad affair, but it would seem if an individual impacts on others lives on a grand scale, the loss is greater.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
It all depends on where you come from I suppose. My grandfather was a Yorkshire coal miner who lost his job and his whole way of life because of Maggie. I saw Yorkshire go drastically downhill and lose much of its character and culture as a result of her policies. And my cousin was a mounted policeman who had to ride amongst her hired mercenaries (in police uniform but with no number on their shoulders) against his own grandfather and family.

Yes, she was strong and principled but she also did a lot of harm to the north of England. I guess some people believe the means justify the ends but that's only if you weren't one of the people affected through no fault of your own.
I disagree. Your grandfather and his ilk lost his way of life because they priced themselves out of their jobs, and Maggie Thatcher was just a convenient whipping boy for their own self inflicted demise, the same being true in many other antiquated and inefficient union dominated industries.

This country owes it's whole existence to Mrs Thatcher, if not for her sweeping to power in 1979 we would be a Third World country by now, the same as we were heading for again under the last useless Labour Party government.

And by the way Bruce, if you weren't here in the 70's then you've no idea what a ridiculous comparison it is that you are trying to make, and to wish anyone dead because they hold different beliefs and values from yourself is, frankly, beneath contempt.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

09-04-2013, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I disagree. Your grandfather and his ilk lost his way of life because they priced themselves out of their jobs, and Maggie Thatcher was just a convenient whipping boy for their own self inflicted demise the same as many other antiquated inefficient union dominated industries.

This country owes it's whole existence to Mrs Thatcher, if not for her sweeping to power in 1979 we would be a Third World country by now, the same as we were heading for again under the last useless Labour Party government.

And by the way Bruce, if you weren't here in the 70's then you've no idea what a ridiculous comparison it is that you are trying to make, and to wish anyone dead because they hold different beliefs and values is pathetic.
Do you have any evidence to back this up?

BBC now, the usual two journalists arguing about the legacy, both have made a nice fat living debating over the last three decades, the system we live within, it's been a "Nice little earner" for some.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=plantman;261787]I disagree. Your grandfather and his ilk lost his way of life because they priced themselves out of their jobs]

Thank you for your humane understanding of individuals' predicaments. and I guess you can just thank your lucky stars you weren't sent down a mine at 13.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 08:34 AM

A name that should be mentioned when talking of mines is scargill he did far more to close mines than Maggie ever could have done.

I can't help feeling when people are unable to let go and see her as she was at the end a broken old lady, ill and frail and at least just RIP or not comment that it says more about them than her !

Page 4 of 33 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top