Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2014, 09:41 AM

Re: TV Cancer awareness advert

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
I have also lost many friends from cancer , and also had a couple of cancer scares myself but the point i was making in my original post was why promote cancer awareness when the doctors brush it off as in my case ..OK it wasn't cancer but it deteriorated to such a extent I had a emergency paramedic , and then a ambulance. The paramedic asked me if i had seen a doctor and when i said the doctor said i had had a 100 day cough , he was not very impressed and quoted "where the hell do they get these ideas"..so what do you believe the ads or the doctors ...fortunately it looks like my 3 month cough is a result to a reaction to Ramipril a blood pressure drug
For me this comes back to the question of being responsible and reporting bad practice, so many in the NHS know what is wrong but don't speak up and when we complain close ranks alarmingly.

When my MIL died it turned out the anaesthetist couldn't speak English, the surgeon was unable to understand what was said. But come the inquest apparently this was never a problem and he denied saying when he came out of the operation that the idiot didn't tell him what was going on so he could have stopped and helped her. Covered up completely, two years later 2 more deaths and the problem was addressed but why did it take at least 3 deaths before a nurse in the end came forward and whistle blew ? At our own surgery everyone knows one of the nurses is incompetent (at best) so why when a patient mentions this do they all whisper I know but can't say anything ? Surely they should be shouting it and getting her retrained or out the door ?
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by david ->
Doctors would love these add campains, WHAT is a doctors aim, To make heaps of money treating people who think they may be sick.
No, the NHS is proactive as well as reactive i.e prevention is better than cure or early detection can save lives etc.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by david ->
Doctors would love these add campains, WHAT is a doctors aim, To make heaps of money treating people who think they may be sick.

Would other trade people worry if add campains sent people knocking on their door to check problems they don't have. Don't Think So.

Live Healthy and Prosper
Never see a Doctor, Doctors are a HEALTH HAZZARD.
May be the case in Aus, but doctors in the NHS don't get paid anything for consulting with a patient. Actually most GPs in the UK hate these campaigns because it increases their workload by having to see lots of "worried well".
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Actually most GPs in the UK hate these campaigns because it increases their workload by having to see lots of "worried well".
Most GP's? that is an interesting statistic orangutan,

There is now, politically and professionally, an expectation of a preventive component to every general practice consultation.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2014, 05:11 PM

Don't you think that could be why we are getting such bad service though pats, the GPs just can't cope or don't want to in some cases.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Most GP's? that is an interesting statistic orangutan,

There is now, politically and professionally, an expectation of a preventive component to every general practice consultation.
Erm, "most" is not a statistic, Pats

And what you say about a preventive component is not new, so not sure what your point is.

But I think I'll move on from this thread now as I suspect it will go round in circles...
Pats
Lincolnshire

21-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Don't you think that could be why we are getting such bad service though pats, the GPs just can't cope or don't want to in some cases.
Well Julie, I can't say why you are getting 'such bad service' it may be the size of your practice/sheer volume of patients or less than competent staff......but the NHS is very keen in promoting awareness and prevention.
Pats
Lincolnshire

21-03-2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Erm, "most" is not a statistic, Pats
OK, an interesting assumption then.

And what you say about a preventive component is not new, so not sure what your point is...
I didn't say it was new.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-03-2014, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Well Julie, I can't say why you are getting 'such bad service' it may be the size of your practice/sheer volume of patients or less than competent staff......but the NHS is very keen in promoting awareness and prevention.
And benecol products we have huge posters and nurses handing out coupons and vouchers for the stuff !

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top