Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 02:00 PM

Re: Kind acts

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Nice to hear Julie, and great that she is interested in her environment. I hope she has as much enjoyment from this as i have had for decades.
Thank you Nom she is really getting interested, your suggestions for books helped as I and my husband had no idea past a robin what we were seeing. What I thought was a blackbird is apparently a juvenile rook I was firmly informed
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Thank you Nom she is really getting interested, your suggestions for books helped as I and my husband had no idea past a robin what we were seeing. What I thought was a blackbird is apparently a juvenile rook I was firmly informed
Books are all well and good Julie but there is no substitute for the real thing....she needs to get out and about and experience nature first hand.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Books are all well and good Julie but there is no substitute for the real thing....she needs to get out and about and experience nature first hand.

Are you aware of her age Malcolm?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 02:13 PM

She is Malcolm its first time we have found caravan in the countryside not on a commercial park she only has to unlock our gate and she steps onto the South Downs, has been with my husband walking and seeing all sorts of wildlife and even sitting in the van she is seeing lots of different birds, mice,rabbits,stoats, bats, badgers and foxes etc

She has taken over my camera to take pictures she then uses books to identify them.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 02:17 PM

She is Malcolm its first time we have found caravan in the countryside not on a commercial park she only has to unlock our gate and she steps onto the South Downs, has been with my husband walking and seeing all sorts of wildlife and even sitting in the van she is seeing lots of different birds, mice,rabbits,stoats, bats, badgers and foxes etc

She has taken over my camera to take pictures she then uses books to identify them.
That's excellent Julie, most small birds look like sparrows at first glance ... You need to be very quiet and still and use binoculars for identification and even then it can be very difficult.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 02:20 PM

And that is exactly what she is doing, a garden is a whole new world to experience, starting with the obvious and as things unfold more and more can be learned.

Observation is a wonderful gift few really possess, it has uses in lifeskills far beyond looking at nature.

Birds are a brilliant way to start, they cover all habitats and environments, so much that the data collated by the BTO is used by governments as part of 13 ways to measure the state of the country.

As a top of a food chain their rise of decline often points to changes in everything from weather to use of chemicals.

Her kit includes notebooks to put down her observations useful skill, art materials, again can lead to new openings.

And the possibility of interacting with others, so gaining social skills that will stand her in good stead and perhaps lead her in a career choice of something she enjoys. And i wished my work could have done that.

And if nothing else she will have some fun, whats not to like ?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 02:21 PM

Oh dear, there be dragons, checkbook alert.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
And that is exactly what she is doing, a garden is a whole new world to experience, starting with the obvious and as things unfold more and more can be learned.

Observation is a wonderful gift few really possess, it has uses in lifeskills far beyond looking at nature.

Birds are a brilliant way to start, they cover all habitats and environments, so much that the data collated by the BTO is used by governments as part of 13 ways to measure the state of the country.

As a top of a food chain their rise of decline often points to changes in everything from weather to use of chemicals.

Her kit includes notebooks to put down her observations useful skill, art materials, again can lead to new openings.

And the possibility of interacting with others, so gaining social skills that will stand her in good stead and perhaps lead her in a career choice of something she enjoys. And i wished my work could have done that.

And if nothing else she will have some fun, whats not to like ?

Good post Nom.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

28-06-2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Good post Nom.
Unchain the strawberries my spuggies need a good feed.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2016, 02:27 PM

When I was a child we spent hours fishing in ponds and brooks insider side for tadpoles newts etc with little nets and ja jars
(My mother always made us take them back )
Having said that I would not like my grandchildren to do as we did .
It seems quite dangerous now.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top