Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2012, 09:40 AM

Re: Home Insulation

Pleased to see that you're all fixed up now Mollie. We had our loft insulation increased and some cavity walls insulated last year, but because there wasn't a large enough area we had to pay £200 towards it? Don't ask me, I couldn't work it out either....
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That's good Mollie I hope they come and install it for you before winter sets in . I will be interested to see if it makes a difference to the warmth of the house during the winter.
I'll let you know if it makes a difference, Meg. Both insulations are to be carried out during next month.

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Pleased to see that you're all fixed up now Mollie. We had our loft insulation increased and some cavity walls insulated last year, but because there wasn't a large enough area we had to pay £200 towards it? Don't ask me, I couldn't work it out either....
How very odd, Barry. Could it be that the larger the house, more heating is lost? Nope, I can't work it out either.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 01:26 AM

There's something I didn't mention when Jim came to cut down the tryffid.

He was halfway through when I took him out a cup of tea and he looked down on my "garden" and his words were "this would make a great project."

I told him that my garden had been worked hard on in the past and he asked me if I had any photos of it, as it was. I told him I had photos of it so he asked if he could have a look, so I showed him the ones I have in Photobucket. He was amazed and said it had looked gorgeous.

Anyway, on Friday evening after getting home from work, he'd been down again and sawn the rest of the tryffid down and totally cleared the first 12ft at the back so I can now see my patio again.

I really can't tell you how I felt about that. Mixed feelings, I suppose. I didn't mind. I was thrilled and gobsmacked , but how the heck do I pay this bloke for taking the time and effort? I've no money to pay him with, but he's sort of taken it upon himself to help me and no, I don't believe for one moment he has any ulterior motive.

I can't assume anything about him, except that I do know he's married, but I know nothing else about him except that he's an exceptionally nice person.

Anybody got any thoughts please?
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That's good Mollie I hope they come and install it for you before winter sets in . I will be interested to see if it makes a difference to the warmth of the house during the winter.
Meg, Loft insulation to the latest regulations and Cavity wall insulation save us the winter allowance on our heating bills last year.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

21-08-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Meg, Loft insulation to the latest regulations and Cavity wall insulation save us the winter allowance on our heating bills last year.
I was chatting to an old friend on the telephone earlier this evening and I was telling him about these insulations. He had his done about a year ago and told me it will make a big difference to my heating bills.

Apparently it only takes half an hour for the loft, and perhaps a couple of hours for the walls, so that's not too bad. I won't enjoy the drilling though, but that can't be helped. .
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2012, 12:15 AM

I had my last house done, a bungalow and I'm afraid to say I didn't notice any difference at all. It was still very cold in the winter and my bills were the same, so haven't bothered with my current one. I do have a very thick layer of insulation in the loft but nothing in the walls
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

22-08-2012, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
I had my last house done, a bungalow and I'm afraid to say I didn't notice any difference at all. It was still very cold in the winter and my bills were the same, so haven't bothered with my current one. I do have a very thick layer of insulation in the loft but nothing in the walls
Sulk! We'll see how we go on. This is a cold house, even though it's the middle of three. Even in winter when there's ice on the roads, ours is the last one on the estate to clear as our road is probably at the highest point.

Hopes for the best.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2012, 08:35 AM

I put extra insulation in my loft, which seems to have made quite a difference, but I was advised against cavity wall insulation in my case because the builder suggested that because of where I live on the sea there could be condensation problems. But I have good double glazing and my house seems to get roasty toastie when I want it to.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2012, 10:01 PM

Well thats all you want isnit, warm when you need it, I have heard that about cavity walls before and its not healthy to be too warm, I often have to stand at the back door to breathe because the heating is on but thats just me, not being funny Mollie.This rain we have had most of the summer has made the house feel damp, the front is fine its just the bedrooms at the back , must put the thing on that draws the damp out of the room on tomorrow, cant remember what its called,it draws the damp air in and it turns to water.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2012, 10:03 PM

Might be getting that mixed up with the story in the Bible , turning water into wine!

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top