Join for free
Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 11:52 AM

Re: Written English

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Didn't take any offense from the OP, seemed a fairly normal question to be asking these days with the proliferation of different ways of communicating.
Thanks, Julie. I thought it a fairly normal question too but as one person erroneously thought it was about her and for some reason took offence I posted the apology....
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I dunno about that lol.

Take Facebook for instance. I have nieces and nephews on there that write total garbage. A lot of it is made from mobile phones so the less typing they have to do the better. A whole new range of words has been created because of this. Mangled English is the order of the day. Meet the same members of my family in real life though and you will find them considerate, well spoken and eloquent .
Most people are bilingual. I used to laugh at my mum (as working class as they come) using her "telephone voice" whenever she spoke to someone "posher" than we were. When I came home after my first term at university, my little sister said, "Bloody 'ell, you doanarf tork posh nah!" My youngest son normally speaks a chav/Jafaican mix with all his friends, but when he is at work he is extremely polite and well-spoken. The kids I feel sorry for are those that can only speak "Yout" and find it almost impossible to communicate with adults.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
When I got my first mobile 'phone, my daughter bought me a book on text speak. In those days it cost per letter I think, so the shorter the message the less it cost.

I'm guilty of using terms like 'dunno' occasionally but only to friends on here or close family.
I too was a secretary, and the apostrophe was a torment! More so for my boss than myself, who continually corrected my 'mistakes' which were his own

So, all in all, I agree Ania

Btw .. my granddaughter thinks I'm 'cool' - 'way to go nan!'

My last boss sent a report back to me ,having written in his own bold handwriting.
"Bob, this is not very proffesional"

Makes you want to weep. Bless him.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 01:04 PM

I was taught that correct spelling and good grammar were very important and even now I cannot send a text using the so called text speak. If there is one thing that is guaranteed to have me gritting my teeth and biting my tongue it's the constant use of LOL. Just me I know but it really does put my blood pressure up.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 01:06 PM

Puts me in mind of where I used to work, me the office cleaner being asked almost everyday how to spell words, think the office staff were the worst spellers ever, used to make me wonder how they got the job.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Didn't take any offense from the OP, seemed a fairly normal question to be asking these days with the proliferation of different ways of communicating.
I thought so too...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 03:28 PM

At least I've ended up with a larf outa this thread .. So bloomin predictable - its that funny
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 03:54 PM

I feel using dialect and deliberate misspellings on a forum is a silly affectation. Imagine if we all did it? The forum would be a presumptuous hotchpotch with everyone expecting every one else to put up with home- grown versions of the written English language.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 03:56 PM

Imagine how I feel...
Markey
Kent, UK
Markey is female  Markey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I have no problem with anyone or any group using a particular dialect/patois to communicate amongst themselves, but the whole point of language is to enable people to communicate amongst themselves, which is why the maintenance of our national language is so important. Irrespective of social background, ethnicity, culture or geographical origin, people in the UK should be able to read, write and understand our national language. Failure to maintain "English" will lead to an increasing divide between classes, groups and ethnicities. Already too many of our young people in London are pretty much incapable of stringing two sentences together in English, speaking only "Jafaican" (or Multi-cultural London English as the sociologists prefer). Maybe I could get a job as a translator - after all, as an ex-youth worker I'm "safe" and "Dis my yard. It's, laahhhk, nang, innit Blud?
Excellent post, Mick.

Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top