Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 09:38 PM

Re: Postman Delivering Adverts!

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Free of charge, I wish they were! As it is it costs me getting on for £40 a week in Council Tax to have one of three bins emptied each week. Then none are full as I just don't use that much of anything, what a rip-off and definitely not free!
Oh, but a bit of your council tax goes on local police services, though.

Er... I forgot. We don't really have any these days, do we?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, but a bit of your council tax goes on local police services, though.

Er... I forgot. We don't really have any these days, do we?
No, quite correct JBR we don't. However, other than those who live locally none are seen from one year to the next here. Ironically though that amount per week I have quoted is after a 25% single occupier discount. A neighbouring property has seven working adults living there, they pay between them £54 a week so about £8 a week each and generate seven times more refuse. Hardly right that one person on a pension has to pay out five times more for seven times less refuse to be collected.

Bring back the Poll Tax I say!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 10:07 PM

No, quite correct JBR we don't. However, other than those who live locally none are seen from one year to the next here. Ironically though that amount per week I have quoted is after a 25% single occupier discount. A neighbouring property has seven working adults living there, they pay between them £54 a week so about £8 a week each and generate seven times more refuse. Hardly right that one person on a pension has to pay out five times more for seven times less refuse to be collected.

Bring back the Poll Tax I say!
Yes, you make a good point.

Another possibility would be giving residents the choice of independent refuse collection companies. I think that might just work as competition between suppliers almost always results in price reduction. Of course, a proportion of council tax must be removed.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 10:16 PM

Yes, you make a good point.

Another possibility would be giving residents the choice of independent refuse collection companies. I think that might just work as competition between suppliers almost always results in price reduction. Of course, a proportion of council tax must be removed.
Better still though give residents the choice of taking their own rubbish to the tip. My one carrier bag of rubbish per week wouldn't cost £40 to take there. Often I don't put a bin out for a couple of months but when it came to the council saving money they took one of the two garden refuse bins away unless I paid even more, another £42 a year to have the additional bin. I refused to do this. The garden refuse is composted into good quality fertiliser and sold back to residents after each having one bag free of charge. Then they wondered why the finances of all this changed for the worse!

Council Tax must be the biggest rip-off for every single pensioner. I know it's my biggest outlay every month, almost more than a week's State pension per month – hardly fair is it after paying my taxes for 55 years!

I say definitely bring back the Poll Tax!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-10-2019, 10:50 PM

Better still though give residents the choice of taking their own rubbish to the tip. My one carrier bag of rubbish per week wouldn't cost £40 to take there. Often I don't put a bin out for a couple of months but when it came to the council saving money they took one of the two garden refuse bins away unless I paid even more, another £42 a year to have the additional bin. I refused to do this. The garden refuse is composted into good quality fertiliser and sold back to residents after each having one bag free of charge. Then they wondered why the finances of all this changed for the worse!
I agree, and we are fortunate (at least at the moment) to be able to take just about anything to our local tip, which is only a five minute drive from our house.

Of course, the same can't be said for people who have no transport or don't even have a free tip, so I really can't complain.
Baz46

27-10-2019, 11:06 PM

I agree, and we are fortunate (at least at the moment) to be able to take just about anything to our local tip, which is only a five minute drive from our house.

Of course, the same can't be said for people who have no transport or don't even have a free tip, so I really can't complain.
That's fortunate, my 'local' tip is a 20-mile round trip.

I shouldn't really complain but there is so much unfairness in this country, it's not just one thing but almost everything seems to be like this and it doesn't get any better.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 11:09 PM

Why are folks so inflamed over the delivery, of a few bits of paper??
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 11:15 PM

We always have a quick flick through the 'junk mail' before it goes in the recycling. Ours is not delivered by post though.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-10-2019, 12:29 AM

That's fortunate, my 'local' tip is a 20-mile round trip.

I shouldn't really complain but there is so much unfairness in this country, it's not just one thing but almost everything seems to be like this and it doesn't get any better.
Yes, that is certainly true, in many respects.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-10-2019, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Why are folks so inflamed over the delivery, of a few bits of paper??
I'm quite happy that we receive junk mail.
Often, we use some as firelighters for our wood burner, so they do have their uses.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top