Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:35 PM

Re: Robin Corbyn again

If I or my husband were in this position being fit for work would be a ridiculous thing to say as we do physical work neither of us are experienced or qualified to do easy office jobs etc. When saying people are fit to work that is never considered. So no I don't agree.

Some people have mental problems they can't work with people or what ever so again fit for work ? no only fit for certain jobs.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I agree Old Supporter - there are many who play the system and they should be targeted.
Blue badges get abused regularly, so many sprinters getting them nowadays, it seems...
Julie, many of the doctors feel so intimidated by SOME patients, there very often has to be an independent judge of abilities.
It's about what work a person can do rather than what he/she can't do. Better for everyone, surely?
It is a good idea in principle but like all ideas implemented by Civil Servants in their cosy little jobs the implementation is a disgrace to a civilized society. More to the point the testing panels and their preset questions would be a embarrassment to 10 years old.
This Tory could not care less shambles is a utter disgrace.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Old Supporter ->
Julie, I do agree that disabled people should get sufficient benefit to live a good life. But I am sure you will also agree that there are quite a lot who play the system. These are the ones who need rooting out.
According to government figures, the level of benefit fraud (and this includes all benefits, not just DLA) is 0.7%. Due to government campaigns and biassed TV programmes focussing on benefits designed to demonise benefits claimants, the public believe that the figure is likely to be 27% More than twice the amount fraudulently claimed is the result of DWP incompetence and mistakes. Compared with the amount of unpaid tax owed by huge corporations, benefit fraud is negligible.
Of all the benefits, in my experience, DLA is the hardest to defraud. My wife has severe osteo-arthritis in hips and knees and can only walk for short distances with sticks or a walker. She also has a serious heart problem, high blood pressure, IBS and has two damaged vertebrae in her neck which need urgent surgery (without it, the slightest wrong movement could cause paralysis). Her arthritis is the result of an accident at work, and her heart problem is congenital. She is slightly overweight, but this is because she cannot exercise. Our diet is incredibly healthy, she has never smoked and is teetotal - so none of her health problems is self-inflicted. Despite all these ailments being evidenced by doctor's records and numerous hospital stays and consultants appointments, she still had to (almost literally) try to jump through hoops for her regular medical assessments. At her most recent, the DWP flew a doctor from Glasgow to Heathrow, put him up in an airport hotel for two nights, paid for a taxi to our house and back to the airport and all his meals. How much did this cost the DWP?
As in all areas of benefits, I am sure that there are a few fraudulent claimants (although god only knows how they get through the assessments) but the actual numbers are tiny and obsessed about by those with an axe to grind. If we really want to save taxpayers money - crack down on the corporate tax fraudsters!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 11:22 AM

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-10469389.html This for me says what I want to say but better.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 11:31 AM

Mick thanks for that info. These are exactly the statistics ordinary people need to know and store in their heads!
Julie what an excellent article that is!
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 12:42 PM

Thank you Mick for some facts. For a number of years I worked in a disability information service. Part of my job was going to people's homes and helping them fill in their DLA forms. It rarely took less time than 3 hours.

As you say, God knows how fraudulent claimants get through the assessments.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
According to government figures, the level of benefit fraud (and this includes all benefits, not just DLA) is 0.7%. Due to government campaigns and biassed TV programmes focussing on benefits designed to demonise benefits claimants, the public believe that the figure is likely to be 27% More than twice the amount fraudulently claimed is the result of DWP incompetence and mistakes. Compared with the amount of unpaid tax owed by huge corporations, benefit fraud is negligible.
Of all the benefits, in my experience, DLA is the hardest to defraud. My wife has severe osteo-arthritis in hips and knees and can only walk for short distances with sticks or a walker. She also has a serious heart problem, high blood pressure, IBS and has two damaged vertebrae in her neck which need urgent surgery (without it, the slightest wrong movement could cause paralysis). Her arthritis is the result of an accident at work, and her heart problem is congenital. She is slightly overweight, but this is because she cannot exercise. Our diet is incredibly healthy, she has never smoked and is teetotal - so none of her health problems is self-inflicted. Despite all these ailments being evidenced by doctor's records and numerous hospital stays and consultants appointments, she still had to (almost literally) try to jump through hoops for her regular medical assessments. At her most recent, the DWP flew a doctor from Glasgow to Heathrow, put him up in an airport hotel for two nights, paid for a taxi to our house and back to the airport and all his meals. How much did this cost the DWP?
As in all areas of benefits, I am sure that there are a few fraudulent claimants (although god only knows how they get through the assessments) but the actual numbers are tiny and obsessed about by those with an axe to grind. If we really want to save taxpayers money - crack down on the corporate tax fraudsters!
So how do they know it is 0.7 % , when they do not have a clue and cannot even get their own sums correct. Did they also pluck 0.7% out of the air as it is a joke and we all know it.
Proof please.

And proof please that they are "obsessed about by those with an axe to grind". Now that is pure rubbish.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

25-08-2015, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Indigo ->
Thank you Mick for some facts. For a number of years I worked in a disability information service. Part of my job was going to people's homes and helping them fill in their DLA forms. It rarely took less time than 3 hours.

As you say, God knows how fraudulent claimants get through the assessments.
Was it a paid job, filling in two forms a day with sick-pay , pension and generous car allowance?

Just asking?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
In short he's too old, he's too right wing and he's too bloody late! stevmk2
Typo again - sorry - I meant LEFT wing! stevmk2
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 04:57 PM

He's only 66!!!!!!

Holy Norah! That's NOT OLD!!!!

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top