Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2015, 03:32 PM

Re: computer interrogation

Originally Posted by mart ->
That's quite an arrangement MKJ.
It was in it's day but that computer is old hat now and slow as hell really .

The ability to control fan speeds is useful though for sure.
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->

Yes.. may be old hat. but its still effective and very well done.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2015, 11:18 PM

I can't see the point nowadays the temperature of the processor(s) is monitored and the fans turn on and off (and their speeds are varied/controlled) automatically. (look in your BIOS - also note that computer fans have 4 wires, two for power, one to sense speed and one to control the speed)

When I am processing a video for example after about 5 to 10 minutes a second fan turns on and builds to a crescendo but within minutes of the processing finishing goes quiet again. For normal use it never turns on.

Every so often I remove the heat sink and fan from the main processor to get all the fluff out of its vanes.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2015, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I can't see the point nowadays the temperature of the processor(s) is monitored and the fans turn on and off (and their speeds are varied/controlled) automatically. (look in your BIOS - also note that computer fans have 4 wires, two for power, one to sense speed and one to control the speed)

When I am processing a video for example after about 5 to 10 minutes a second fan turns on and builds to a crescendo but within minutes of the processing finishing goes quiet again. For normal use it never turns on.

Every so often I remove the heat sink and fan from the main processor to get all the fluff out of its vanes.
The computer with the fans on is very old now - must be around 8 years or so. I can still overclock it if I need and turn the fans up - processor mainly - to keep things nice and cool. I still use it but very rarely. Was a cracker in it's day and I used to overclock it a fair bit when playing an online game. I have a pretty potent bit of kit now and there is no need to do anything to this one and it runs cool enough under any condition. Saying that though I used a different old computer the other day and after about 10 mins of playing an online game it locked up through over heating.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2015, 11:34 PM

The computer with the fans on is very old now - must be around 8 years or so. I can still overclock it if I need and turn the fans up - processor mainly - to keep things nice and cool. I still use it but very rarely. Was a cracker in it's day and I used to overclock it a fair bit when playing an online game. I have a pretty potent bit of kit now and there is no need to do anything to this one and it runs cool enough under any condition. Saying that though I used a different old computer the other day and after about 10 mins of playing an online game it locked up through over heating.
I wasn't criticising; variable speed fan controls used to be important especially with overclocked processors, I think it was the needs of laptops that made automatic cooling control such an art.

You can still buy controllers because they are handy for other purposes. I have a couple of NAS boxes, wifi and router in a fairly small cupboard so there I attached an extraction fan (a 12v fan from an old computer) to exchange the air. In the event it turned out to be unnecessary but a speed controller could have come in handy.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

13-02-2015, 11:38 PM

Keeping stuff cool is something I have to think about as I have 3 servers on the go in one upstairs room - along with the computer I mentioned. At the moment it isn't getting too hot up there but come the summer I might have a nasty problem.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top