Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 12:12 AM

Re: Can We Talk About Peas?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

So many good replies.

I am with Art on this.

Frozen are good, mushy with fish.

I grow mangetout in a couple of contaiers and use them in stir fries.
Swimmy, l know you love to cook and you enjoy good food. So do you make your own mushy peas, or do you buy the tins of Batchelor's mushy peas, like l do?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Fresh and raw...............
Besoeker, Eating freshly picked peas out of the pods is lovely!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

21-02-2021, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I love the minted ones, but they are hard to find these days. Used to always get them in the freezer in any supermarket.
Roxy, When l was married my husband liked the minted peas but like you say, you don’t see them in the supermarket these days.
I sometimes add fresh mint to the peas whilst they are cooking. Or sometimes, l add a little sugar to make them sweet.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

21-02-2021, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Peas are actually one of my favorite vegetables year around. I do prefer the petite young peas in a can, I choose them over the larger frozen peas in a bag (Green Giant or Birdseye). Garden peas in summer? Nah, takes too long to shuck them out of the pod. Late at night I have been known to open a can, heat them in the microwave and put a pat of butter on top with pepper.
Better snack for me than something sweet at times.
Right Now, Yes, l agree about the time it takes to shell them. So many pods to shell for such a little amount of peas!

I like the sound of your little snack with the microwaved peas with butter and pepper!
I usually boil or steam my peas.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

21-02-2021, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Frozen petit pois is the way to go because they are kept fresher than anything else. Tinned peas are ugh! I remember having fresh peas as a child. Peas always remind me of the John Major and Norma spitting image sketches. I have a love hate thing with them. But recently it's become more affectionate.
Annie, When l lived at home, my mother who wasn’t a great cook gave us tinned marrowfat peas. Then you grow up and discover that there are several other types of peas!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I love garden peas with my meals ie. fish, steak and roasts.

I prefer garden peas that l buy frozen. Fresh peas are a pain, you’re popping pods for ages but only end up with a few peas to show for all your trouble!
Even growing them, mice seem to sabotage a good harvest.

Do you have a favourite brand?
I agree, they are the only green veggie that I eat. I just buy the Coles own brand frozen "Carrots, Peas and Corn" - all my veggies in one handy packet.

None of that foreign rubbish here.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by artangel ->
besoeker, eating freshly picked peas out of the pods is lovely!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 01:04 AM

Roxy, When l was married my husband liked the minted peas but like you say, you don’t see them in the supermarket these days.
I sometimes add fresh mint to the peas whilst they are cooking. Or sometimes, l add a little sugar to make them sweet.
I occasionally add a couple of teaspoons of Mint Jelly while cooking them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 01:50 AM

Ooh, Omah, That made me feel a bit sick 🤢
That's because you're not from Coventry, where a "faggot'n'pea batch" was (and, AFAIK, still is) a favoured chip-shop takeaway .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

21-02-2021, 02:02 AM

I may regret asking this - but what is in a faggot?

The only ones I have come across have been bundles of wood or an embroidery stitch.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top