Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 09:46 AM

Re: Vertigo ... or BPPV

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Art, it happens because Tiny calcium "stones" inside your inner ear canals help you keep your balance. Normally, when you move a certain way, such as when you stand up or turn your head, these stones move around.

Perhaps you should ask a doctor if ear syringing can move the "stones"!
Twink, l don’t have Vertigo, it’s my sister who does.
I thought they were referred to as crystals? ‘Stones’ sound a bit heavy to me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You know the ailment ... the one where you walk at a slant or worse, go to get up and the world spins.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.

Anyone had it? I've had the thing for a month now.
I'm doing the Brandt-Daroff exercises and getting fed up.
Only when I was much younger and drank too much.

My bed spun so much that I had to hang on to avoid being flung off, it was very disconcerting.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I too get blinding headaches, Giddy spells and now and again lose my balance and fall over. I have given up seeing the Doctor as I honestly think they don,t care if you are elderly. I saw my GP and was told it was probably caused by either an inner infection (He did not look in my ears) or due to high blood pressure (He did not check my blood pressure) I was given stronger pain killing tablets and told to 'take things easy' All in all I was in the consulting room all of three minutes. The strange thing is that when I am sat or laid down I am fine, it,s just when I stand.
I'm not a medical expert fred, but to my mind its more like postural hypotension and not hypertension. As we get older and well into old age, our heart's compensatory system is unable to cope with a sudden change in body attitude (such as standing from sitting) and BP drops causing sudden loss of blood flow to the brain which in turn causes loss of balance. Your doctor should have mentioned and checked for this and I suggest seeing another doc within the same practice.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 12:14 PM

I had BPPV a couple of years ago, it was quite alarming and I ended up on the ground a couple of times even knocking over a wall. I saw my GP who diagnosed it but didn't do the exercises and it just cleared up by itsel.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 07:07 PM

You know the ailment ... the one where you walk at a slant or worse, go to get up and the world spins.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.

Anyone had it? I've had the thing for a month now.
I'm doing the Brandt-Daroff exercises and getting fed up.
Sounds nasty, Morti, do take care!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I have had that on & off for years, used to have pills for it, but when it went, never got any more, perhaps I should have, as it's been back for the last few weeks now. Not bad just very annoying, when I lie in bed the room goes around & when I get up the room goes around. Like I've had too much to drink, except I don't drink. It passes after a minute or two though. Not too bad during the day unless I move my head quickly.
What are those exercises, Brandt-Daroff, Morticia, not heard of those.
They take 10 minutes to do ... three times a day.
The first time I tried it I nearly threw up and flopped off the bed. I could feel my eyes crossing as the room spun around.

A few days later I decided to be brave and try again.
They're for masochists.
I can't lie down to go to sleep and am more comfy propped up with pillows but it's kicked my sciatic off now.
I am not a happy pig limping around like Quasimodo

https://www.healthline.com/health/fi...roff-exercises
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Morty, ask you doctor.....

1) Is this connected to the awful experience that put you in hospital?

2) Get your vitamin D levels checked, as there is growing evidence linking BPPV with bone loss and with low levels of vitamin D.
Many people in the UK have low vitamin D levels, owing to lack of sun, and my doctors believe that we should all take vit D supplements through the winter.

It may seem a small problem but, if you establish what is causing it, you may be able to find a simple way of stopping it.
Funny you should say that. I never thought about my aneurysm as it was a year ago now..... but ...immediately after it I did find my balance was a little suspect and I listed to the left a bit when walking not unlike a wonky shopping trolley which has it's own idea of which direction to go no matter which way you push it.

Vitamin D? I'll investigate that Twink ... it's always worth looking out for anything that can help or alleviate it. I have got rather brittle nails too .. and seem to have got prone to ridges in them of late.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

20-12-2019, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Can l ask if any of you that suffer with this ailment have had your ears syringed in the past?
I know ear syringing can be connected to the cause of Tinnitus and l wondered if it can attribute to dizziness.
My sister suffers with both and she has her ears syringed.

I’m probably talking a load of nonsense but it does make you wonder?
You wonder away ... it crossed my mind too as I can be prone to ear problems and sinusitis.

Touch wood (that'll be me head, rather appropriately in this case) ... it hasn't got any worse over the last few days, nor has it got any better.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 10:08 PM

You wonder away ... it crossed my mind too as I can be prone to ear problems and sinusitis.

Touch wood (that'll be me head, rather appropriately in this case) ... it hasn't got any worse over the last few days, nor has it got any better.
I think my theory can be hit on the head!

Morti, l am sorry that you are suffering. I hope you can get some respite from it all.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

20-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I suffer from vertigo too. It's been about 2 years since I had a bad attack but I know it's with me all the time - just hiding.

For instance if I turn around quickly I almost fall over and sometimes when walking I suddenly sway over to one side for no reason. I bet onlookers think I've been drinking.

In it's acute stage I couldn't even turn my head without the room spinning round and wanting to vomit. I was in bed for three days with it but the medication eventually took hold..

I feel so sorry for anybody with this condition.
That sounds really awful ... mine is not that bad in comparison. Yours sounds quite frightening. You've actually made me feel better and wondering why I'm complaining.
I know what you mean about swaying when you're walking. I'm like that anyway.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top