Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2014, 10:19 AM

Re: Anyone else hurting after their flu jab?

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
Had the Flu jab for the first time last year at the end of Oct.
Felt rough and off colour all the way through November and at the start of December came down with full blown flu which lasted for six days.
Never ever again will I have the Flu jab.
That's the kind of thing that you read about that puts you off having these jabs.

Like Jem, I've not had 'flu for so long I can't even remember when it was I last came down with it but it has to be at least ten years.

I know you can't actually build up immunity as no two strains of the 'flu virus are ever the same but the question still remains for me in some ways; is it possible to build-up some antibodies or something so that some kind of basic "recognition" takes place within the body, triggering a response from your immune system?

Over the past few years I've been in far more environments where 'flu was prevalent, including working with one person trying to work-through who had to admit defeat and take time off yet I never even get a sniffle!

We've had several outbreaks of Norovirus where I work too and often staff go down too, including once my immediate work colleague but me? Nothing!

I will ask about it all - definitely - when I see the Nurse again in a couple of weeks about the inoculation and side effects too as I've had quite bad reactions to inoculations in the past. stevmk2
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2014, 09:32 PM

Must clarify my post as was only putting what happened to me after the flu jab and must state that I am 72 and do not suffer from any breathing problems.

Had Asian flu in the 1950s and as it was a virulent flu that killed thousands and was told I had built up an immune system because of it and should not have problems in the future.

In 93 had a bout of flu again off for three days not to serious.

As stated in my other post had the flu jab last year and was never so ill for six days in my life.

Either the flu jab gave me flu or the flu jab was ineffective and I caught flu normally.

If any one on this site has lung or serious medical problems think its better to have the jab.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2014, 10:18 PM

I had my jab at 12pm today and didn't feel a thing. Its now almost 10.30pm and there is no soreness at all.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2014, 10:37 PM

As stated in my other post had the flu jab last year and was never so ill for six days in my life.

Either the flu jab gave me flu or the flu jab was ineffective and I caught flu normally.
Or it could more than likely be that you were already incubating flu when you had the jab..and the flu got you before your immune system built up the antibodies to fight it.

Like I said up thread...the jab cant give you flu...the vaccine does not contain live viruses.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Or it could more than likely be that you were already incubating flu when you had the jab..and the flu got you before your immune system built up the antibodies to fight it.
Would it be normal for me to be incubating the flu for six weeks before I came down with it?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2014, 12:14 AM

Must clarify my post as was only putting what happened to me after the flu jab and must state that I am 72 and do not suffer from any breathing problems.

Had Asian flu in the 1950s and as it was a virulent flu that killed thousands and was told I had built up an immune system because of it and should not have problems in the future.

In 93 had a bout of flu again off for three days not to serious.

If any one on this site has lung or serious medical problems think its better to have the jab.
Very likely that the jab was just ineffective. It's a very inexact science which means each year the jab developed is based largely on guesswork as to what strains will be prevalent. They clearly cannot always be right in their predictions as the virus mutates so much.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2014, 08:52 AM

I had my jab yesterday. No after effects at all... Not even a sore/achy arm.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2014, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Try the ice pack in a tea towel Janet
I could try that Meg but it's not as bad, and it would be difficult to know where on the arm to put it. Aches all the way down.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2014, 01:46 PM

Having mine next Friday, never had a problem with it so hoping the same for the next one.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Ive only had one once, as im in several at risk catergories. It made me ill, so i dont bother with it now, funnily i was discussing this with friends yesterday some had exactly the same problems i did.
I am exactly the same as you and your pals NOM, I had one the year before last and felt totally rotten for about 3 looong months never again. Will take my chances .

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top