Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 02:25 PM

Re: Just beyond me

Ah so thats why I got Melanoma then,because Ive never worn a hat [oh forgot I did wear a pixie hood in winter ]
It does seem ridiculous to start buying school uniform as soon as the children break up , but remembering when mine were young this had to be done early , because items were sold out by the time they went back to school, also the cost, uniforms are expensive and often need to be bought a bit at a time,especially with more than one child
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 04:27 PM

Did I ever say I disagreed with school uniforms per se? No.
I think they're important as a great leveller and even upperer.
Please don't misinterpret my rant, it was aimed at stupid out of date uniforms that hark back to the Edwardian era, berets, boaters, blazers etc.

I'm all in favour of cheap easy to launder sweatshirts, polo shirts, drip dry shirts etc, jumpers, skirts, trousers, whatever, in the schools chosen colours that can be purchased easily from high street shops.

I'm delighted for Julie that Grace is doing well, that is lovely, and having her mind stretched, but I regret it's stretching her purse too!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 04:33 PM

I'm not sure the easy launder options come with the same gravitas and discipline though, watching the kids coming out of the school she is currently at (and it's not a bad school) the children look like a rag bag of kids aimlessly wandering, whereas where she will be going they march in twos out of the classrooms and behave impeccably until they are handed into the parents arms. No wandering all have a purpose and discipline.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 07:36 PM

I do agree ruthio,some uniforms are soout of date.I live in Harrow and the boys from the well known elite private school wear boaters and coats with tails , and Ive heard they must not be seen outside school premises without these,though I think they wear blazers when theyre only around the school. My sons just had grey trousers and a certain colour jumper while at 1st school , and plus blazers at high school, but these were soon discarded by the pupils
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 07:54 PM

Ragbag, raggle taggle, that's good! I love it!

They're children for heaven's sakes, not fashion mannequins!!

Let them be happy and carefree for as long as possible!
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2015, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Skin cancer - melanoma. From long term exposure to the sun.
Cumulative ? Sure ! But, good habits are formed when young........
Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Oh come on!!
Do you honestly think that the ANCIENT school uniform habit in our country derives from the wish to keep our darlings healthy!!
It's all about snobbery and image.

In the summer yes sun hats should be worn, but they DO NOT cost £22!!
"C'mon "yourself, Ruthio. As I clearly indicated, I was responding only to your line
Originally Posted by ruthio ->
What on earth do kids need hats for anyway????
I agree completely that unfashionable, outdated, uber-expensive gear is nonsense.
I support the practicality of reasonably-priced hats. That's all !

Just ask Deylo
n
Originally Posted by deylon ->
Ah so thats why I got Melanoma then,because Ive never worn a hat

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top