Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 06:04 PM

Re: Should junk food be banned from schools?

Originally Posted by solo ->
I notice a few of us oldies are keeping quiet about the local tuck shop which we all frequested whenever money and time allowed .
Mmmmmm, Blue Ribbands, Chocolate Honeycombe, KitKat,
Sherbert Dips. (whoo! they used to make my eyes water!) Penguins and Club Biscuits and the old style Milky Ways and my favourites, 1/4 of Aniseed Balls
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 06:12 PM

I've never understood just what constitutes 'junk' in junk food ... To me food is food in all its varieties !
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I've never understood just what constitutes 'junk' in junk food ... To me food is food in all its varieties !
I'm no dietician Malcolm but I guess junk food is food with lots of calories but little nutrition.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I'm no dietician Malcolm but I guess junk food is food with lots of calories but little nutrition.
Like what for instance, all food is nourishment and none of it is 'junk' in my book Alan unless over indulgence in a particularly fattening item.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
No its taking away freedom of Choice ,Everyone should be able to choose what they eat .
Advise on food so they know what they are eating .
True!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	freedom.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	466  
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A rather revolting product invented by Bernard Matthews.

The original ones were 21% fat, then reduced to 7%.

The turkey is mechanically recovered meat.

When they bone the turkey, the carcase is put in a pressure washer and scraps of meat blasted off, then the water is pressed out and the meat sludge formed into shapes with all sorts of enhancers and binders added.

About as far removed from the real thing as possible.

The big food processors round here do similar things with chicken, pork and ham, all of which have water added, up to 20% is added to processed meats.

Very good profits.
Thank you for that information SF
Rest assured that a TW will never pass my lips.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 07:39 AM

What folks call junk food is fine now and again, for instance a Big Mac, it has plenty of lettuce with it and the kids love it it is a treat for them, as long as its a treat and not a way to feed them on a regular basis.
I like a good plate of egg and chips once in awhile, I really do enjoy it, it depends what you fancy.
So should junk food be removed from school food, No but it should be controlled how much.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 08:10 AM

At our upper school in the 60's we had a head cook in the kitchen, and if she said that they were running out of potatoes, she would introduced chips and the kids loved it. But you would get a lot of complaints from the kids from the first sitting who had potatoes Back then it was a novelty to get food like that...

Yes i strongly agree that they should scrap the junk food, they parents should be concerned about what their child is eating!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2016, 12:14 PM

Junk food is ok in small amounts I am thinking chocolate crisps etc, if you ban too many things they become a prize and kids will eventually get hold of them some how, better they have little of what they fancy than make it unresistable to them.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top