Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Re: Do toasters commit suicide?

Originally Posted by Kath 131 ->
Cookie this is absolutely brilliant!! I agree with every word what a clever lady you are. xxx
Thank you Kath, it was a bit of a shock to think how much we actually throw away these days. Nappies are causing a problem, plastic bottles too. I sell jam on the local market and you will find that people of a certain age will bring back the washed jar, and even the rubber band, gingham cover and ribbon we use to decorate the jars. Young'uns would never think of the extra cost of those bits and pieces which have to be added on to the price of the jam.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Ahhhhhh happy memories, The Toasting Trident used in front of a roaring fire twas a wonder to see the bread turn a wonderful golden colour. Now and again the great fire god would take a weakened crust for himself but we were glad of that sacrifice if there was more bread left.
There is nothing quite like thick cut toast dripping with butter made on an open fire with the aid of a toasting fork .

For me no toaster can match that taste...
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There is nothing quite like thick cut toast dripping with butter made on an open fire with the aid of a toasting fork .

For me no toaster can match that taste...
I so agree Meg, The fire was where the familywere as the living room was the only heated room in the house. Not only did the fire make divine toast but was also entertainment as we all looked for pictures in the flames.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2012, 02:38 PM

I so agree Meg, The fire was where the familywere as the living room was the only heated room in the house. Not only did the fire make divine toast but was also entertainment as we all looked for pictures in the flames.
Sometime shortly before Xmas we used to toast chestnuts by placing them on the edge of the grate - WONDERFUL!!!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2012, 04:39 PM

That brings back memories and get my taste buds going.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

31-08-2012, 10:24 PM

Ahhhhhh happy memories, The Toasting Trident used in front of a roaring fire twas a wonder to see the bread turn a wonderful golden colour. Now and again the great fire god would take a weakened crust for himself but we were glad of that sacrifice if there was more bread left.
Alas Cate, this was more than just a toasting trident. It was a three pronged instrument of great antiquity, no fishing pole for Poseidon or Neptune to splash about the murky deep with. The much treasured artifact was wrought in the fires of Hades when the world was in flux.

This truly was an equisite piece, fashioned from the metals of the ancient world it stood prongs and shaft above its rivals. The handle was crafted from a fang that belonged to Cerberus yet was icy cold to the touch and thus the user could always 'safely toast'. The prongs could spear a gnat at will and so even the smallest slice could be transfixed with no loss of crumbage.

We have no idea exactly who the artificer of this fine example was or maybe still is, the only clue is that engraven upon the shaft was the legend 'look after your fork'.

Nothing more, but then what else is needed ?
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

04-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Alas Cate, this was more than just a toasting trident. It was a three pronged instrument of great antiquity, no fishing pole for Poseidon or Neptune to splash about the murky deep with. The much treasured artifact was wrought in the fires of Hades when the world was in flux.

This truly was an equisite piece, fashioned from the metals of the ancient world it stood prongs and shaft above its rivals. The handle was crafted from a fang that belonged to Cerberus yet was icy cold to the touch and thus the user could always 'safely toast'. The prongs could spear a gnat at will and so even the smallest slice could be transfixed with no loss of crumbage.

We have no idea exactly who the artificer of this fine example was or maybe still is, the only clue is that engraven upon the shaft was the legend 'look after your fork'.

Nothing more, but then what else is needed ?
I have the deepest sorrow for your loss of such a rare and wonderous crafted item. Nothing can be said to ease the loss you must feel and the crumbs you now lose.

I will from now on always remember the legend you speak of and I will 'look after my fork'

I know nothing could replace what you have lost but I was interested in this piece of frippery

http://www.chimineashop.co.uk/steel-toasting-fork.html
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 04:59 PM

I've had to 'resurrect' this thread because like toasters, coffee machines are programmed to commit suicide too. I firmly believe this.
Ours, which we've had just over a year, gave up the ghost yesterday! Wal has given it a 'going over' but can't find the fault..so today we have bought a new one, not the cheapest - but not all 'singing and dancing' so if it dies in a year ........
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 05:37 PM

My washing machines commit suicide after one to two years .
Think it's due to overuse they give up the will to live
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

07-06-2014, 06:43 PM

I truly believe toasters lose their love of life and die, but coffee machines and washing machines I had more faith in them and considered them to be of a higher mentality. However, between you and me my dishwasher has been heard to make a wirring sound obviously a sign that all is not well.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top