Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 11:53 AM

Re: 'That' Parish Council meeting (an internet 'sensation' )

Originally Posted by eccles ->
You can see where the Vicar of Dibley got its inspiration from can't you?
Yes very similar.
I know everyone on my Parish council, 3 farmers, an accountant, a retired doctor and a woman BandB owner who is also a member on the local Town council.

The minutes are published on the village website and make interesting reading .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Worse part was, the crux of the meeting was the appointment to elect a subcommittee for a steering group, just shows, its ego that brings these folks together, and causes all the spats.
A subcommittee
a steering group
a parish council

Little wonder that we are probably the most bureaucratic nation on earth.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Some wise man, whose name I forget, once pointed out that people who joined Parish Councils, School Governors, local councils, Unions, Political Parties, you name it, did it for one purpose.

That purpose was to give them power & advantage, over all the rest.

Some would even get paid for the service they would give.

Where are the skills, which are needed to manage anything?

Not, always, to be found!

Any training available, for the job?

Not that I know about.

Be careful who you vote for!
I was "elected" to be a "teacher governor". The process was as follows...

Felt like having a cigarette during one of my free periods. Walking towards the school's front exit, I bumped into the head who said "That's a coincidence. I was just coming to see you since I think you'd be the perfect person to represent the staff as a governor." What this probably meant is that he knew that there had to be a teacher on the governing board and had decided to leave it to fate and see which member of staff he bumped into first. I said OK, since it seemed rude to turn him down, which might have led to a longer discussion, but I was in a hurry and gagging for a fag.

No election, no training, no particular desire, no recompense (although the free sandwich, tea and biscuits during board meetings was nice).

Such is democracy. I remained in post for about 6 years until I changed schools.

The other members of the governing board were a rag tag bunch of parents, the school bursar and a random bloke from the LEA.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
A subcommittee
a steering group
a parish council

Little wonder that we are probably the most bureaucratic nation on earth.
There's a fine line isn't there, between the core people of the town or village, the old school stoics that really take an interest in the community and those that take the above positions so they can be officially officious.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There's a fine line isn't there, between the core people of the town or village, the old school stoics that really take an interest in the community and those that take the above positions so they can be officially officious.
I'm sure there are good and bad in all walks of life...
except for parish councils, of course!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm sure there are good and bad in all walks of life...
except for parish councils, of course!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top