Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 12:02 AM

Re: What happened to weekend television?

I don't have a TV and the only thing I watch on Catch-Up on Saturday night is Casualty. There's nowt else on over the weekend that I've spotted that might be of interest.

There is however a plethora of wonderful films, old series, and other stuff on You Tube you can tune into though. I particularly enjoyed watching the series London's Burning, The Bill, Silent Witness, Law & Order UK, The Human Jungle from the early 60s, George & Mildred and other comedies.

Who needs a telly?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
The reason for that is there were only four channels when Des was at his prime.
I also think this race to have as many channels as possible has lowered standards by putting any old dross on - there, I've said it
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Yes BV, I like ' Would I lie to you' too.
Don't like that pop-eyed twit with the horrible laugh on '8 out of 10 cats' though, can't remember his name, the one that was in troube a while back with the Inland Revenue. What's his name?
I love the humour between David whatisname and Lee Mack - so funny to watch.

I also watch 8 out of 10 Cats but wish they'd get rid of Jimmy Carr - he takes being basic to a whole new level (downwards). I do like John Richardson and the chap on the other team but I keep watching as it deals with people's perceptions and beliefs and I'm fascinated by all that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I also think this race to have as many channels as possible has lowered standards by putting any old dross on - there, I've said it
There have been clear pros and cons to it really the con being as you say any old dross BUT that dross may be someone else's TV gold. We used to love a caravan programme on one of the digital channels, very basic obviously filmed by the presenter and cobbled together on his computer, another show was two men making a narrow boat went on for weeks sawing and bolting things together, we found it fascinating but it would never have been shown on any of the main channels it was a niche viewing opportunity and probably part of the dross you describe but TV gold to us.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
There have been clear pros and cons to it really the con being as you say any old dross BUT that dross may be someone else's TV gold. We used to love a caravan programme on one of the digital channels, very basic obviously filmed by the presenter and cobbled together on his computer, another show was two men making a narrow boat went on for weeks sawing and bolting things together, we found it fascinating but it would never have been shown on any of the main channels it was a niche viewing opportunity and probably part of the dross you describe but TV gold to us.
The boat is finished now, but there is a programme about the owner travelling in it on the Grand Union Canal on one of the channels, it's called narrow boat afloat, I'm sure it is still on.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2013, 10:19 PM

Hope HIGNFY & QI get a new series soon, fed up of repeats. I used to like "The World At War", I wouldn't watch it now though, funny how we change!
Anyone remember "The Devil's Crown" ? It was about Richard the Lionheart, had John Duttine and Jane Lapotaire. It was very good but never saw it repeated. (Could have been while I was away) "Brother Cadfael" was good too! "Soldier, Soldier" brillliant, they don't make 'em like they used to!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

21-08-2013, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
niche viewing opportunity and probably part of the dross you describe but TV gold to us.
You are quite correct - anything I'm not interested in I would refer to as dross.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

21-08-2013, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Hope HIGNFY & QI get a new series soon, fed up of repeats. I used to like "The World At War", I wouldn't watch it now though, funny how we change!
Anyone remember "The Devil's Crown" ? It was about Richard the Lionheart, had John Duttine and Jane Lapotaire. It was very good but never saw it repeated. (Could have been while I was away) "Brother Cadfael" was good too! "Soldier, Soldier" brillliant, they don't make 'em like they used to!
HIGNFY can't start soon enough

BIB: I wish they'd do more like that - I've been watching The White Queen (BBC) and I think it has now finished but it was brilliant.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Love HIGNFY, Mock the Week, WILTY. I also love Lee Mack and his Not Going Out, and his witty exchanges with David Mitchell. Dara Obrain annoys me at times: when he makes a joke he always follows it with 'Errrrrrrrr...'

Funnily enough, I remember the war films and would watch them, especially the German or Japanese ones. On a Saturday afternoon my sister would always enjoy the romancey weepy films.

And for me, Saturday evening is not the same now without Merlin.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

23-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Love HIGNFY, Mock the Week, WILTY. I also love Lee Mack and his Not Going Out, and his witty exchanges with David Mitchell. Dara Obrain annoys me at times: when he makes a joke he always follows it with 'Errrrrrrrr...'
Yep - I like Mock the Week too but I don't find Dara O'Brian funny at all.

Funnily enough, I remember the war films and would watch them, especially the German or Japanese ones. On a Saturday afternoon my sister would always enjoy the romancey weepy films.
I love all the old Hollywood films and still watch them if they're on - especially if Bette Davies is in the them.

And for me, Saturday evening is not the same now without Merlin.
Agreed - one of the best things the Beeb has ever put out imo.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top