Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:40 AM

Re: Should Aspirin Be Given A Repreive?

We have all been talking of taking aspirin daily, but no one has mentioned the fact that most are dispersible, taken after dissolving in water.
Bear in mind we are not all the same, what suits one doesn't suit another, a lot of what doctors do is done on a trial and error basis.
The only way we know if we have an allergy, we have to take some first, not very pleasent if it is bad for you, but there is no other way to find out., we are only given a drug after clinical trials, and I take my hat of those that volunteer to do it.
I remember those 6 students who did it for pocket money, and nearly lost their lives.
But that is another subject.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 02:15 PM

It would seem, from the papers yesterday, that aspirin is proving to be effective against many cancers:

'They found that aspirin reduced risk of the spread of cancer to other parts of the body by 36% over the average 6.5 year course of the studies. The effects of aspirin were independent of age and sex.

Professor Rothwell explains which types of cancer see the biggest effect: ‘In terms of preventing spread of cancer, the data suggest that the effect is largest in adenocarcinomas. These include cancers of the gut, particularly colorectal cancer, some cancers of the lung and most cancers of the breast and prostate.

‘In terms of preventing the longer-term development of new cancers, the largest reductions are seen in risk of colorectal cancer and oesophageal cancer, with smaller effects on several other common cancers.’'

It surely has to be safer than the usual treatments?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2012/120321.html
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 02:20 PM

I must 'remember' to try a small dose ......
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
I must 'remember' to try a small dose ......
I'm beginning to think the same way!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Not a single chemical passes my lips unless it's been prescribe
by my doctor.
Very sensible mesco m.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:57 PM

I am a supporter of aspirin and still use it despite the fact I am on Warfarin for my heart and as such it is not recommended for obvious reasons!!

Yes it has had a lot of bad press but what hasn't? They were banging on about paracetamol damaging your liver (I think) a year or two ago as well, so that begs the question of what painkiller CAN you take?
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
I am a supporter of aspirin and still use it despite the fact I am on Warfarin for my heart and as such it is not recommended for obvious reasons!!
May I ask why then do you take it?
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
May I ask why then do you take it?
Purely because paracetamol does not work for me. I don't pop them daily but if I have a migraine or very bad headache I'll take a couple as they are the only thing that will work.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Yes it has had a lot of bad press but what hasn't? They were banging on about paracetamol damaging your liver (I think) a year or two ago as well, so that begs the question of what painkiller CAN you take?
I remember when paracetamol became the rage and I was working, temporarily, in Health Services Department at the University of Birmingham and I'd bought a packet of Panadol and was about to take them when the technician said 'I wouldn't take one of those for all the tea in China' - I asked her why not and wasn't paracetamol supposed to be better - to put her reply into a nutshell, the answer was a resounding 'no'.

I suffer from cluster headaches on a regular basis (the more stressed I get, the more they occur) and used to take paracetamol to try and get rid of them (naturally, they failed miserably) but I never exceeded the daily dose and didn't take them every day but still ended up with liver damage. I was then prescribed an appropriate painkiller for those headaches and my liver is now back to normal. Now, I won't touch anything that has paracetamol in it.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2013, 02:14 PM

Finding a happy medium when taking any drugs, but aspirin has been a favourite for years, even back when I was a kid there was very little else.
As soon as you had a headache or similar, out came the bottle of aspirin, my guess it was used by women for period pain, I know my mother never went anywhere without a bottle in her bag.
A small dispirin taken daily is really fairly safe, unless you have an allergy, but the alternative is always going to be a bigger risk than the aspirin.
I have been researching kidney and gallbladder stones, because I have them, and what I have found is that legumes eaten in large quantities, seem to break down the stones, causing them to be passed through us.
How it works is if you keep legumes going into your gallbladder, at the rate of 3 cups a day, they break down the stones by causing the liver to produce more bile, which breaks them up.
If anybody is interested in a link to the lady who discovered it, I will look it up for you.
Just a nice natural way to remove stones without losing your bladder.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top