Join for free
Page 4 of 39 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 08:19 PM

Re: Oscar Pistorius

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I hope to goodness he gets a really long sentence then whatever the outcome. Are juries not as intelligent as they used to be, I sometimes think this is the case.....not very PC but there you go.
They don't have a Jury system in SA
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
I haven't been following the trial..... of course a lay person may think he is helping in some way if the victim appears to be choking...but it's not something I would say is an instinctive thing to do.
I agree, Pats, but if he had ever learned any first aid even as a youngster he might have had some recollection of the need to clear the airway and been trying to do it the only way he figured he could and in a panic.
I was following the news of the trial but haven't had any news of it since it resumed (?last Monday) so don't know what's currently happening.
And despite protestations to the contrary, there have been comparisons with the OJ trial because both defendants were seen as sporting heroes/legends in their own countries and both were accused of killing their girlfriends.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
Very common in America.

A few weeks ago a Father shot his own daughter when he thought she was a burglar.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...stook-burglar/
Is that an anti-American comment, Sue?

(And please don't take me seriously )
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Is that an anti-American comment, Sue?

(And please don't take me seriously )

In serious debates Yes I will take it seriously

How dare you take that as Anti-American
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

09-04-2014, 08:33 PM

Marki
East Midlands -UK
Marki is male  Marki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2014, 09:33 PM

They guy should shut-up crying and man-up (obviously seeking the sympathy vote) for 5 mins. Ive never seen anything so pathetic tbh.

Fact is, any decent man would ensure his partners awareness of a burglar. as well as her immediate safety, before going to confront the intruder imho.

I gotta say though, loving the Rottweiler's snarling teeth style of questioning.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 03:48 AM

Yesterday the Sydney Morning Herald web site had the headline:

Pistorius Falls Apart in Court

I choked on my muesli and nearly wet myself laughing. Totally inappropriate I know but there you go. it was the funniest thing I had read in days.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 06:50 AM

My friend's South African and she said over there everyone owns a gun and they shoot first and ask questions later, so I suppose it's conceivable OP shot without thinking as an automatic reaction to a noise - seems madness to me, with someone else sharing a room, but who knows? My gut feeling is that he won't be convicted of murder.

Not sure what's so hilarious about Bruce's headline either.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2014, 08:15 AM

Shoot first ? well when one of us gets up in the night we tend to call through the bathroom door are you OK rather than reach for a weapon. Why would anyone assume if there are more than one person in a house that the person in the bathroom is a burglar and not the one of the other people ?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

10-04-2014, 08:32 AM

While I agree with you Julie, I think the levels of crime in SA are very different to the UK and people there are more likely to shoot first. But what is totally illogical to me is that he has said he told Reeva to call the police before he took his gun to the bathroom door so how on earth could he have not seen her go there first?!

Page 4 of 39 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top