Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Re: Diction

Some regional accents have their own diction problems, but I do like accents, so it doesn't bother me. I love some of the "twangs"
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

30-01-2015, 12:29 PM

Alice, I am sure you are aware that women are renowned for their unique way of speaking, completely different to men. I must say I love it, it adds colour to life. I spoke to three complete strangers yesterday, a lady in the charity shop who told me we have Pagans living in our town. The lady in the coffee shop who was telling me how difficult it is to run a coffee shop business and another lady who wanted to know where I bought my silly hat. What would we do without you ?
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

30-01-2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Some regional accents have their own diction problems, but I do like accents, so it doesn't bother me. I love some of the "twangs"
Welsh really does have a " twang " boyo.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by littlebob ->
Welsh really does have a " twang " boyo.
My wife loves the Welsh accent Bob-bach but to me it's very hard to follow now!

We have a lot of Bangladeshis around here and I manage with their accent OK but the broad Indian accent's very similar in some ways the the Welsh accent to me and therefore a struggle.

Broad Scots now is impossible for me yet I used to be able to converse happily with even the strongest Scots accent. stevmk2
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

30-01-2015, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
My wife loves the Welsh accent Bob-bach but to me it's very hard to follow now!

We have a lot of Bangladeshis around here and I manage with their accent OK but the broad Indian accent's very similar in some ways the the Welsh accent to me and therefore a struggle.

Broad Scots now is impossible for me yet I used to be able to converse happily with even the strongest Scots accent. stevmk2
I find Welsh hard to follow even after living here for almost nine years and even harder to speak.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 01:40 PM

My father in law was Welsh. I absolutely adore the Welsh twang.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by littlebob ->
I find Welsh hard to follow even after living here for almost nine years and even harder to speak.
Bob, why not go to Nos Ysgol.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 04:42 PM

I’m going to try a bit of a Narfick Mardle.

--------------------------
Oi went down to the Inebriated Cat last night, mind yew thas not wot we call it but ‘cos yew are all posh folk oi’ll stick to a calling it of its proper name.

Oi went there acos it was the Christmas Club club divi up. My heart they laid on a decent spread for us. Yew should a bin there, there was sausage rolls an mince pies a plenty an there was those little old volley something things, trouble is yew dew need several to maik a decent mouth full.

Well Oi had a sup or two and then set orf for hom. Jist as oi turned orf the ’igh Street oi was damn near blinded by this car’s blue light. well oi tell yer it’s times like this when yew realise that adrenalin is brown and comes with a funny ole smell. I was lucky ’cos it was only ole Ben an he lives jist down from us so he didn’t want me to a blow in anything but he did say Jack dew yew know your back loight isn’t a working? Oi said bugger the back loight where’s the bloody caravan gone. Anyhow oi got out and gave it a kick an the light come on. Ben says yew betta have a go at kicking the windscreen an see if a tax disc come up.

Oi got home an there’s the missus sitting in her chair all vinegar and curlers. Oi hadn’t spoke to her for several weeks, we hadn’t fallen out oi just doesn’t like to interrupt. It was our wedding anniversary a few weeks ago an she asaid to me yew never taik me anywhere so oi says where dew yew want to go? She says take me somewhere oi hint bin for a long whoil. My heart she weren’t pleased when oi took her to the kitchen.

Sides she weren’t a telling of the truth oi took her to Cromer in the summer, well maybe it was last summer, anyway we were on the beach when this young lady in a cor blimey bikini fainted. Stand back I yelled oi’m a first aider with thurty years experience. They all stood back so I sat her up and pushed her head down between her legs. Blarst she didn’t half jump. Well oi mean all that commotion ‘cos oi hadn’t spotted the cigarette in her mouth.

A couple of weeks ago thar wos this great ole fire in this ‘ere tall ole buildin’ in Yarmouth. This ere fireman on top of a ladder loses his helmet and it falls at the feet of Winston. Well Winston thinks Oi wouldn’t like to be up thar without a helmet so he climbs the ladder and taps the fireman on the leg and ‘ands ’im his helmet. Thanks says the fireman I wos worried without that. Where are you from? Jamaica says Winston. Blarst oi, says the fireman, you’ve bin quick them buggers from Narwich h’int here yet.

Larst night I was a stood next to a bloke in the gents when I felt my leg go all hot. So I says to him you’ve been circumcised. He says its not polite to look I says I didn’t look but oi’ll tell you who did it it was ole Doctor Abraham. Blarst oi he says how do you know that? Well I says ole Doctor Abraham always cuts on the slantendicular and you jist peed down my leg.

Well oi best be orf now, the missus has a lorst her voice an it would be a shaame to miss it.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2015, 05:40 PM

VM, Tha's no a bad rendition o' mardle oi 'as to say thar bor! stevmk2 (a Narfick bor)

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top