Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 10:04 AM

Re: Car lights

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
I always drive with dipped lights on. Always have for 40 Odd years. We started when my husband worked Germany, as it was mandatory over there making cars more noticeable. We have had a succession of Volvos in the past, so lights staying on was not a problem but a blessing.Neither are windscreen wipers a problem, when sensing rain. All these gizmos, being able to talk to your car ect, are to make life easier and safer. If you have them then you would miss them if they were not there. My phone is built in, so only have to press a button on the steering wheel to answer,so not a problem. Only VERY close family have that number for emergencies. It's nice on long journeys, alone,to have family occasionally ringing to monitor progress and safety.
Not in my book, messing about trying to turn them on, then the ruddy woman cant pick up what your instructions are, all to turn the wipers on which I can do in one flick of a switch.

The one useful thing they could fit on convertibles is a loud audible option for the indicators when the roof is down as they cannot be heard in the wind. Far to sensible I suspect. Fitted my own on the Triumph Stag but looks like a major job on the Merc. Still may sell it and buy a Jaguar Convertible. Sod gadgets give we wheelspin and power Top Gear Rules, long live Clarkson
Hells Angels meet this weekend a Brighton, that means rain and a lot of lights on.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 10:15 AM

Daylight running lights on new cars are now compulsory I understand. There is one good reason for it, so you can make sure in an accident you can have something to aim at

What to me seems more useful is to have a brake light failure warning light on the dashboard
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 10:32 AM

Well I drive a Porsche Cayenne S and I love every l little detail. Can't complain about anything (unless it's petrol consumption) Each to his own.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 10:39 AM

I've got used to most of these 'gizmos' but the one I totally abhor and would never ever ever ever have again is the absence of a hand brake with just a button instead
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 10:40 AM

Celyn

Wheelbase: 2,895 mm
Length: 4,855 mm
Height: 1,705 mm
Tiptronic S
Power 309 kW (420 hp) at 6,000 1/min
Acceleration from 0 - 100 km/h (0 - 62 mph) 5.5 s
Top speed 259 km/h (160 mph)
Fuel consumption* Combined in l/100 km (mpg) 9.8 - 9.5 (28.8 - 29.7)
CO2 emissions in g/km 229 - 223
Price £ 60,845.00 incl. VAT

At that price it should be exactly what you want
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Celyn

Wheelbase: 2,895 mm
Length: 4,855 mm
Height: 1,705 mm
Tiptronic S
Power 309 kW (420 hp) at 6,000 1/min
Acceleration from 0 - 100 km/h (0 - 62 mph) 5.5 s
Top speed 259 km/h (160 mph)
Fuel consumption* Combined in l/100 km (mpg) 9.8 - 9.5 (28.8 - 29.7)
CO2 emissions in g/km 229 - 223
Price £ 60,845.00 incl. VAT

At that price it should be exactly what you want
Changing my post, wrong model The Cayenne is the most ugly monstrosity on UK roads. The ultimate display of vulgar taste and voted just that in a car poll. The one good thing about it is the "Wags" have purchased so many it has allowed Porche to fund making decent sports cars, which is what they should be making.
Still went to the Cuckmere yesterday, just purgatory traffic all the way home, and the fumes from the diesel fumes being putrid.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 03:35 PM

You have just written your own CV doe, showing the true nature of the fellow. It isn't the only vehicle I own, although the one I use on a daily basis, but I shan't fuel your acerbic observations by naming the others. I did have the good manners to keep my thoughts to myself but I must admit I now feel free to voice my opinions, after your post, that I wouldn't contemplate a Merc. As for Triumphs I went through that phase in my youth and then went on, in MY opinion, to better things. As I said each to his own.

Ruthio I have a foot brake, that's brilliant. On another vehicle I have a hand brake which I would say *never again*
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 03:52 PM

Ruthio I have a foot brake, that's brilliant. On another vehicle I have a hand brake which I would say *never again*
You prefer the button??
That's amazing! I tried to reverse park once, it was uphill...oh dear oh dear oh dear
Celyn
Hampshire

11-09-2015, 05:14 PM

Oh no, not a button.....no, no, no. Mine is a left foot hand brake. To release its a lever.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

11-09-2015, 06:28 PM

You have just written your own CV doe, showing the true nature of the fellow. It isn't the only vehicle I own, although the one I use on a daily basis, but I shan't fuel your acerbic observations by naming the others. I did have the good manners to keep my thoughts to myself but I must admit I now feel free to voice my opinions, after your post, that I wouldn't contemplate a Merc. As for Triumphs I went through that phase in my youth and then went on, in MY opinion, to better things. As I said each to his own.

That made me laff. The four wheel brigade that clog up our roads and never see a field . I hate the bloody things, as in truly hate the monstrosities that clog roads and vision. Worse in the Hove multi story car-park each one needs to take two places to fit in, so no room for others. The ego transport of the Chelsea Tractor brigade , bling transport and the Porsche is the worst.
Guess for some the reason for ownership must be fear from their own driving, the feeling they need to drive a tank.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top