Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 10:35 AM

Re: Bread & Butter

Originally Posted by Realist ->
That sounds like "Soda Bread".

If so, obviously it's the baking powder that does the rising (though perhaps you meant it doesn't need proofing for long periods). It can go wrong if you don't get the mix in the oven very shortly after the wet ingredients hit the dry as the chemical reaction only lasts a very short time. If you leave it too long what you get is a rock !

I haven't made soda bread for ages so now you've brought it up I should probably aim to make some. River Cottage Hugh Fernley has a great recipe for Guinness, Apple and Cheese Soda bread which is pretty scrummy and can be made in minutes !
Yes I thought it tasted a bit like soda bread but I've not had any of that since I was a child.
Some years ago I did want to try making soda bread but there was nowhere to buy buttermilk and I was told that you can't sour you own milk now ... something to do with pasteurising.

Dunno

Anyway, my baking powder bread had no milk in as far as I remember.
After my dad was discovered to have high cholesterol, I more or less cut out milk etc. if possible, when following a recipe.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top