Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 12:43 PM

Re: Warning to women drivers

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Take mobile phone pics of everything youve got in your purse and handbag so if it goes missing you will have visual pics to remind you what you need to cancel...ofc upload the photos to your pc or tablet dont just keep them on your phone as that may go missing also.
...and take pictures any time you have an accident.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 12:57 PM

A friend of mine was in Florida and went to a grocery store. One of his employee's needed to go back home to Texas so he used the ATM in the store to get his guy some travel cash.He realized he was being watched so he bought a six pack of sodas and had them 4 bag it.When he went to his truck 2 black males came up to him and demanded THEIR money,He swung the sodas at one knocking him to the ground and started in on the other with the sodas,he was beating the crap out of them and the Police showed up,and were going to arrest him for assault,A lady in the parking lot explained to the Police what she saw and he was released,both of the black males were arrested and went to jail.He was pretty grateful to the Lady,sometimes things aren't what they seem,but she heard everything and called the Police.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I ALWAYS take the keys with me whenever I get out of my car if it's only for half a minute.
I do too... 99.9% of the time. But that day I was distracted and it was also an older car that didn't have keyless entry. With my new car, of course, I get out and just use the key fob to lock it and activate the alarm system.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I thought the op wanted to know if it was true, I don't think I will bother in future trying to find these things out if no one really cares if they are or not. Puzzling place this forum these days people ask questions but don't want them answered.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with posting additional information. In fact I think it's a good thing because it can put ones mind at ease to know such things don't happen on a regular basis. However, it can happen.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:53 PM

I think you always have to be aware that these things do go on and to be vigilant.

Me and hubby go shopping together but I keep an eye out to see if any one is watching what we are doing when tapping the pin number into the card machine.

He always puts the bags into the car while I sit in it waiting for him to return from returning the trolley. It has got me thinking that maybe that is the wrong thing to do as well.
Linda0818
USA

05-01-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
There's also one about a piece of paper being put on the rear screen under the wiper. The person doesn't notice until they prepare to drive off and look behind. They get out to see what it is and someone jumps in and steals the car.
Now that one I've heard of. Then you have what are called "Sliders" at gas stations. Sliders are people who wait until women get out of their car to pump their gas. Then while the woman is distracted, they 'slide' up to her car (either on foot or by slipping out of another vehicle that pulls up beside the woman's car) and opens the car door on the side she's opposite from, then grabs her purse and anything else they can get their grubby little hands on.

This is just an example of how and when they're doing it.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/purses-snat...field/35405090

I started about a year ago locking my car doors when I pump gas. If you can't lock your doors (or don't want to go to the trouble) then take your purse out of the car with you.

What amazes me is I'll occasionally hear stories of people who have had their cars stolen at gas stations because they pump gas, then decide to go inside to pay (especially if they have other purchases to make inside the store) and leave their keys in the ignition. People can't really be that stupid... can they? You simply can't be in this day and age.

One woman, a few months back, left not only her keys in the ignition, but her kid in the back seat. She came out of the store of the gas station to find her car - and her kid - gone.

Linda0818
USA

05-01-2016, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
I think you always have to be aware that these things do go on and to be vigilant.

Me and hubby go shopping together but I keep an eye out to see if any one is watching what we are doing when tapping the pin number into the card machine.

He always puts the bags into the car while I sit in it waiting for him to return from returning the trolley. It has got me thinking that maybe that is the wrong thing to do as well.
It's good that you keep an eye out. They say that a good part of the reason so many people end up victims is because they're unaware of their surroundings. And these days, with people always having their faces stuck in their phones, they're oblivious to what's going on around them and it makes them easy targets.

As for sitting in the car, I don't really see anything wrong it it, as long as the keys aren't in the ignition. Because while your husband is distracted with the trolley, then yes, someone could jump inside the car and take off with you in it.

As for purses/bags being stolen from trolleys in parking lots, I think the best thing to do is put your purse in the car, lock the car, THEN put your items in the trunk (boot). I think that's better than hanging it on your shoulder. Out of sight, out of mind, they say.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 02:13 PM

Heard of another one today! The thief puts a coin in the gap by your passenger door, this stops your central locking working for that door so they just open it when you're gone.
A while ago a person was car jacked in a town nearby, they were driving along in the early hours and came across cones across the road. They couldn't see any reason for them so they got out to move them and were attacked.
Of course there's no proof of any of these things they're like urban myths.
I always take my handbag with me and wear it strap across my body. I use my purse to hide pin number, I've seen many people not shielding theirs.
Linda0818
USA

05-01-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Heard of another one today! The thief puts a coin in the gap by your passenger door, this stops your central locking working for that door so they just open it when you're gone.
A while ago a person was car jacked in a town nearby, they were driving along in the early hours and came across cones across the road. They couldn't see any reason for them so they got out to move them and were attacked.
Of course there's no proof of any of these things they're likeurban myths.
How would they have enough time to get the coin in the gap before you get out of your car and lock it?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 02:20 PM

No idea, but some thieves are very quick, pickpockets for instance, split second and your purse is gone!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top